What Pets Do You Have?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have a pair of Siamese cats, will post some pics soon.

I have a wife and 4 kids, if that counts?

Currently :
2 cats
pics48769005.jpg

Phonepics067.jpg

2 rabbits

2 turtles

4 degus
picgtnj104.jpg

2 tanks - 1/ platies, angelfish, tetras + pleco - 2/ discus, plecos, loaches, cories + angelfish

1 pond - koi + sterlets

In the future i would love a get a long haired white german shepherd
smile.png

will try and add more pics later

Aww another degu owner :) I wanted more than 2 but my current cage is only 4ft tall x 4ft long x 2ft wide which seems to be great for my 2 but seems a little small for any more. Plus adding more to the ones you already have can be hard work

Aww another degu owner
smile.png
I wanted more than 2 but my current cage is only 4ft tall x 4ft long x 2ft wide which seems to be great for my 2 but seems a little small for any more. Plus adding more to the ones you already have can be hard work

Yeah i got these 4 together as someone had sent them back :( obviously didn't want them anymore its four brothers and the dad.
Thats a pic of them in the old cage which was way to small for them they also didn't have anything in there only a sand bath a devoured wooden house and a food bowl. :/
The new cage is much bigger and has shelves, 2 wheels, hammocks, sand bath tubes etc but i would like to put some more in there for them any ideas?

You could put some wooden ledges in there for them. I got 3 in my degu cage and 2 in my chinchilla cage, they love climbing and bouncing around so the more shelves and ledges the better. Don't give them anything made out of plastic as they will just chew through and it's not good for them (only thing I got that's plastic is their wheel which is a "silent spinner" wheel... Best iv ever had).. Instead just give them wood (shelving, ledges, chew toys) they will still chew through them but it will take longer and is better for their teeth... As you probably already know, degus and chinchillas teeth continue to grow throughout their lives so they need wood to chew to keep them at a reasonable size and it also prevents infections.

Also degus (as well as chinchillas) need a cooling pad as they don't have sweat glands and so can't cool down naturally. I would remove the sand bath you have in the cage. They are only meant to go in sand for around 10 minutes per day. Any longer and your at risk of damaging their eyes.

Never get water on your degus as they will become ill. This is because their fur coats are so dense (hence why they need sand baths). The last bit of info I can give you is degus (again as well as chinchillas) are prone to getting diabetes. To prevent this don't ever feed them anything sweet. Stick to normal degu pellets as a main every day food and then feed them a few sunflower seeds say once a week. Mine go nuts for them :) they also enjoy a bit of grass and broccoli. Again this should only be fed around once per week as a treat. Just obviously make sure the grass is completely free of any pesticides.

Hope this helps you out :) I love my degus. Iv had normal degus which are called agouti's... These are the most common (which is what you have) and iv also kept white, black and now have a rarer blue degu with my agouti.

As for their bowl... I just use a round metal bowl which screws on to the side of the cage :)

Yeah iv got a lot of shelves in there all made of wood as in the other cage they were all made of wire mesh metal etc and iv read that can do damage to there feet so i haven't got any of that, theres also a small ledge i can't remember what its made out of but its made so that its good for their teeth when they chew it. They eat everything have to keep replacing things, i give them plain toilet paper tubes so they can make bedding out of it or just eat it. The plastic thats in there is the 2 wheels a tube and the sand bath because it is more like a house that they can go in to so the sand doesn't go everywhere i put that in there for about 20mins.

Iv had them about a year now, to be honest when i bought them the shop didn't tell me anything about them so its a good thing when i got home straight away i started looking up on them otherwise i wouldn't have known that they couldn't eat sugar (which i'm still annoyed about that they didn't mention that). It's hard to find treats for them as obviously mostly everything has sugar in it so you have to read carefully, iv tried the seeds but they do like hay though they make a lot of mess with it.

I didn't know about the cooling pad so thanks for that i know they will need that in the summer. I think thats the same bowl as iv got though i might try to get another as they fight over it with 1 just sitting n the bowl so the others can't get to the food. I'm not sure if you can see in the pic but the 1 degu is a different colour from the other three more grey and white instead of the brown, i haven't seen many with his colour before.

I just want to get some more stuff in there for them as obviously their very active, iv got loads of shelves of all different sizes and shapes, which is good but theres no fun in their like when the run in their wheels. I might get a couple of those giant exercise balls so they can go round in those outside of the cage for a while.

Ive got all the fish you see in my siggy and I have a Black Labrador who is my best mate

Here he is

jakeandlochlomondgolfcourse105-1.gif

Yeah iv got a lot of shelves in there all made of wood as in the other cage they were all made of wire mesh metal etc and iv read that can do damage to there feet so i haven't got any of that, theres also a small ledge i can't remember what its made out of but its made so that its good for their teeth when they chew it. They eat everything have to keep replacing things, i give them plain toilet paper tubes so they can make bedding out of it or just eat it. The plastic thats in there is the 2 wheels a tube and the sand bath because it is more like a house that they can go in to so the sand doesn't go everywhere i put that in there for about 20mins.

Iv had them about a year now, to be honest when i bought them the shop didn't tell me anything about them so its a good thing when i got home straight away i started looking up on them otherwise i wouldn't have known that they couldn't eat sugar (which i'm still annoyed about that they didn't mention that). It's hard to find treats for them as obviously mostly everything has sugar in it so you have to read carefully, iv tried the seeds but they do like hay though they make a lot of mess with it.

I didn't know about the cooling pad so thanks for that i know they will need that in the summer. I think thats the same bowl as iv got though i might try to get another as they fight over it with 1 just sitting n the bowl so the others can't get to the food. I'm not sure if you can see in the pic but the 1 degu is a different colour from the other three more grey and white instead of the brown, i haven't seen many with his colour before.

I just want to get some more stuff in there for them as obviously their very active, iv got loads of shelves of all different sizes and shapes, which is good but theres no fun in their like when the run in their wheels. I might get a couple of those giant exercise balls so they can go round in those outside of the cage for a while.

You seem to have done your research. All I will add is the giant plastic balls are no good for degus. This is for the same reasons they can't have wire wheels, their feet can get caught in the wheel and/or the ball and it could cause a serious injury to them. Also they will just chew through the ball and escape. Instead what I do is let them run around in a room of my house where there is nowhere for them to escape and no wires for them to chew on. Best way to go about doing that with no issues is 1st make sure they are comfortable with you. Get them coming out of the cage and eating out of your hand.... After they get on your hand slowly raise your hand up and down to get them to trust you. Then after that stage you should have no problems picking them up making it easier to get them back in their cage after they've had a run around. I sit on the floor with mine when they are running around and they climb onto my shoulder. I can walk around the house with them on my shoulder then. Even walked around the garden with them sat on my shoulder... They don't attempt to run anywhere. Iv had my 2 since August of this year and iv been able to train them very quickly. I just spend around 3 hours or more each day with them.

For my fish tank I have

Fancy guppies(unsure of the exact number I think around 12)
3 Wild-type guppies
1 gold-dust molly-female
1 red-tiger platy-male
1 female peacock gudgeon
1 male neon goby
1 julii catfish

Beyond that I have

2 rats, Drek Thar and Tiberius
1 mouse, Snakebite

=D

Fish wise:
2 x German Blue Rams
28 x Ember Tetra
4 x Otto's
20 ish Yellow Cherry Shrimp
12 Harlequin Rasbora
loads of Red Cherry Shrimp
Male Betta

Others:
18 week old male Yemen Chameleon
16 week old Lurcher puppy
2 year old Hermans Tortoise
5 kids and a partridge in a pear tree

:)

Ok here's my (terrifying!) list;

Fish tanks;

A 240l with green neons, marbled hatchets, glass catfish and a BN, in my bedrrom

A 250l with an oscar and a raphael catfish, and an Edge with male Endler's and some ghost shrimp, in my son's bedroom

a 200l with tiger barbs and a rescued gibbi and a 200l with silvertips, black phantoms and adolfoi/CW021 cories in the living room

a 100l with panda cories, kulhi loach, glowlight danios and dwarf emerald rasboras and a 60l with hillstream loach in the kitchen

two guinea pigs (Fang and Dr Evil)

a rabbit (Cinders)

a goliath bird-eating spider (Sweet Pea)

An ex-racing greyhound (Jack)

Oh, and a pond with seven goldfish (plus a few youngsters born in the spring)

Too many pets in the past to list, but currently I have:

Clayton - Some sort of mixed breed terrier, may have some Pitbull & Border Terrier

Mr. Fritz - Gray Tigerstripe American Tabby Cat

Samurai - Double Tail Half Moon Betta

Max - Elephant Ear Super Delta Betta

Igor - Dragonscale Plakat Betta

King Leeri - Pearl Gourami Male

Sadie - Pearl Gourami Female

Opaline - Opaline Gourami Female

Banshee - Paradise Gourami Female

Jagger - Thicklip Gourami

Topper - Dwarf Gourami

Rocket - Golden Panda Lyretail Molly

Sabre - Sword Tail

Sonny - Marigold Variatus

Hawk - Hi Fin Platy

Polar - Bolivian Ram Male

Bowie - Bolivian Ram Male

Zoe - Bolivian Ram Female

Skippy - Handicapped Von Rio Flame Tetra

The rest of the Corries, Plecos, Barbs & Tetras aren't named for obvious reasons......................

I currently have

Scamp (himilayan x)
Scamp5thDec20121d.jpg

Simvar (ragdoll)
Simvar5thDec20121i.jpg

Fabio (choc fox mouse)
Fabio14thOct2012zj.jpg

Nika (black longcoat german shepherd)
Nika7thDec20121j.jpg

+ all the fish tanks

This is what I have owned in the past
5 Horses
A Jack Russell Terrier
Loads of goldfish
2 Syrian Hamsters
and a Yorkshire Terrier

What I currently own
A Border Collie named Tess (rescued from a farmer who was going to shoot her) :(
A Rhodesian Ridgeback cross Lab Cross Great Dane
A Tuxedo Cat named Poppy
Two Goldfish
A albino mini Rex rabbit named Buddy-Blue
and a pond with Koi Carp

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back