What percentage of the babies would also have a bent spine?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Finstar Aquatics

Reaction score
20221113_160240.jpg

I would hope to hear from a guppy linebreeder. I don't know about the percentage of fry that could develop the deformity.

As for the link to eugenics, with the breeding of humans for some traits and against some others, it was a popular thing at the start of the 20th century, in the USA and Canada, as well as in Germany. Everyone from the Women's Christian Temperance Union to Mr Kelloggs, of cereal fame, and Alexander Graham Bell were supporters. It's part of history that we tend to shamefully push under the carpet. It's scary stuff to most of us now.

Back in the world of fish and non human animals, linebreeding has its own knowledge base that is really developed. Hopefully, a skilled breeder will post.

First of all, there are fish that are born that way and there are fish that develop a bend spine. If born this way, it's mostly a poor genetic history the fish has like heavily inbreeding. But a bend spine that has been developed over time, could be still bad genetics, insufficiency of certain nutrients, age, the caudal is too big for the body, too many pregnancies and a too heavy pregnancy (extreme big belly during pregnancy).

The percentage of a deformity in offspring is hard to tell. That may differ per individual female guppy how the percentage in the offspring will be. Which also means that a female guppy with a bend spine can also produce offspring with normal spines. But again, it can not be determined what the percentage will be of a normal or bend spine in the offspring. To avoid the risk, don't breed these bend guppies.

Euthanizing it would be cruel and a waste of resource, give it to me and I'll be happily to give him to one of my fish as a snack. A sudden death from the jaws of some other fish is way better than a slow painful one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back