Gastrodermus nanus with seemingly bent spine?

ambrosia0431 11

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 17, 2026
Messages
216
Reaction score
162
Points
43
Location
Andalusia, Spain
1777491488454.webp
1777491504770.webp
1777491516978.webp
1777491535812.webp

I asked in another place and someone told me to separate him so he doesn't breed (I don't have any more tank) or euthanize him...
He's eating well and swimming and glass surfing like the others and has been for some weeks now, just saw it because I love looking at them :(
What would y'all do?
 
There are two major, common reasons. The first in benign - an injury when the fish was small, often from netting. The second is problematic - Mycobacteriosis causing a cyst to form along the spine and twist its shape as it grows.

Tough one. If the deformation is progressing, then it's probably the 100% fatal, very communicable and untreatable disease. It isn't a pretty thought, and it's probably the reasoning behind the euthanizing argument. If I got the fish with a straight spine and saw that developing, I would euthanize to try to protect the other fish. I'd hate doing it.

The least likely scenario is genetics. Things go wrong, and it does happen. In such a case, you don't have a breeder there. But if these aren't wild caught corys, I'd fear tb, and watch for it growing. Under no circumstances would that fish be allowed to die in the tank.

A fish in the early stages of tb will encyst the bacteria and probably control it for a period. Its life will be shortened to 3 to 5 years, but for a while, the cyst will hold and the disease will progress very slowly. You need a biopsy to be sure (a dead fish as a result) and unless you are a lab tech, it would be an expensive one.
 
There are two major, common reasons. The first in benign - an injury when the fish was small, often from netting. The second is problematic - Mycobacteriosis causing a cyst to form along the spine and twist its shape as it grows.

Tough one. If the deformation is progressing, then it's probably the 100% fatal, very communicable and untreatable disease. It isn't a pretty thought, and it's probably the reasoning behind the euthanizing argument. If I got the fish with a straight spine and saw that developing, I would euthanize to try to protect the other fish. I'd hate doing it.

The least likely scenario is genetics. Things go wrong, and it does happen. In such a case, you don't have a breeder there. But if these aren't wild caught corys, I'd fear tb, and watch for it growing. Under no circumstances would that fish be allowed to die in the tank.

A fish in the early stages of tb will encyst the bacteria and probably control it for a period. Its life will be shortened to 3 to 5 years, but for a while, the cyst will hold and the disease will progress very slowly. You need a biopsy to be sure (a dead fish as a result) and unless you are a lab tech, it would be an expensive one.
I think it may have always had it? Looking at old photos I can see it somewhat. It's the smallest one but it swims, glass surfs, eats and flip bladder snails the same as the others, doesn't seem lethargic or breathing rapidly
 
So again, do you see an old case of tb, an old injury or a genetic flaw? I can't answer, and neither can you. If it's tb, it's trouble. If it isn't, it isn't, and ultimately risk tolerance becomes the question. I hate euthanizing fish and only do it as a last resort, but having once contracted fish tb, I am more concerned about it than most. That forced me to learn a lot quickly!

Most likely, if it's communicable, it's spread and the fish are all coping with it and controlling it. It wouldn't be that dangerous, except if you are immune compromised or have open cuts when you put your hand in the water. And then, it's just a long annoyance. With fish, it's generally chronic and the fish can look fine for a couple of years. If the fish dies in the tank though, the bacteria flood out of burst cysts and then you have an acute infection. So you can just monitor as you normally would, and euthanize if the fish sickens.
 
So again, do you see an old case of tb, an old injury or a genetic flaw? I can't answer, and neither can you. If it's tb, it's trouble. If it isn't, it isn't, and ultimately risk tolerance becomes the question. I hate euthanizing fish and only do it as a last resort, but having once contracted fish tb, I am more concerned about it than most. That forced me to learn a lot quickly!

Most likely, if it's communicable, it's spread and the fish are all coping with it and controlling it. It wouldn't be that dangerous, except if you are immune compromised or have open cuts when you put your hand in the water. And then, it's just a long annoyance. With fish, it's generally chronic and the fish can look fine for a couple of years. If the fish dies in the tank though, the bacteria flood out of burst cysts and then you have an acute infection. So you can just monitor as you normally would, and euthanize if the fish sickens.
Okay thanks! What can I look for as signs of disconfort? I've never really had fish until now so Idk what to look for!
 
Two of them (not the bent spine one) have these white scales? on their head too: (They move too fast lol)
1777565616287.webp
1777565625226.webp
1777565655281.webp
 
Discomfort would be wasting. The Cory group are hard because, they ARE hard. That armour on the front half of the body is rigid, and it hides internal issues. Look for redness around the gills or back vents, swelling, and loss of balance. Hopefully, you'll never see it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top