What Is This?

Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
514
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
England, Northamptonshire
Just found this snail in my tank and don't have clue about how it got there or what type it is.
I havn't brought plants in weeks so i'm not sure how it got ther

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg


I have reomoved it for the time being.
Shall i keep out out or is it not like the common snails you find?

cheers!
 
looks like a malasion (sp) trumpet to me

Edit: Oh and they breed like crazy so unless you want some more dont re-add that to your tank and search for more!
 
Ok cheers, i might keep it in a seperate little container thing and see what happens.. a little project for myself! lol

If you have one, there's probably more. If you're not overfeeding, you may never see them, because they live down in the gravel. I never knew I had them in my 30 gallon until I pulled the gravel out and they started climbing up the bucket. Dropped them in my 55 and haven't seen them since.
 
That would be a malaysian trumpet snail(Melanoides tuberculata).

They certainly are beneficial! They'll keep sand stirred up and eat leftovers and possibly algae if they get hungry enough.

The 'snail explosion' is caused by overfeeding, so don't do that and you shouldn't have too many. Not like it's a bad thing to have a bunch, anyway. They look nice, in my opinion. :P
 
After posting this I found a couple more adutls and a lot of babies. I think i might remove as many as posible and then leave what ever i can't find, because i don't want to be over run with the thing!

Cheers for the help!
 
Theres usually people trying to get hold of them in Buy and Sell (sure I saw a post there recently.)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top