What Is This Rock And Is It Safe For My Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

keep in tank/clean and put back in/throw away.

• KEEP

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • CLEAN

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • THROW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jebbwardo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i found alot of this rock in my garden which im guessing is slate but not sure and it had patches of black stuff on it which i think is tar i have sterilised the rock/slate and scraped as much of the black stuff of as possible i have put it in my tank but i have no fish in the tank yet and am unsure whether to because i might of missed a bit of the black and i am unsure whether its harmful and what should i do?

IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

Donno what it is but it looks like a cool kinda cave that you would get to see loaches and shrimp ect in there

Did you try to drop a bit of viniger on it? If not i would try it if it fizzes the rock will mess with your ph and it it doesnt have a reaction i would assume its fine.

HHH said:
Did you try to drop a bit of viniger on it? If not i would try it if it fizzes the rock will mess with your ph and it it doesnt have a reaction i would assume its fine.
Learn something new every day. I'm gonna be out tomorrow with a bottle of vinegar testing rocks lol

baker360360 said:

Learn something new every day. I'm gonna be out tomorrow with a bottle of vinegar testing rocks lol

"What's that weirdo doing over there?" "I'M TESTIN ROCKS!" :p 
Jebb just want to check, did you cycle or are you cycling your tank?

i have started to clean in it and i was about to start cycling then thought about the rocks being poisonous but ive got the sand paper out and sand papered them all and have been tipping vinegar all over them to see if any bubbles come off but it seems fine gonna give it another clean tommorow and order some more bits and start cycling in the necxt week 

Well glad to hear, they look lovely..looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Rocks look fine, if it's nice and hard and not at all 'crumbly', it'll be alright. It's any tar left over on them that would worry the hell out of me...

Pouring boiling water over it should sterilize it. Looking forward to seeing the tank! :)

IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG

Update on my tank.
i have swapped stones for gravel, i got a couple of new filters and am using the fluval 4 plus at the moment, and got a 100 watt jewel heater. i have layed out my yorkshire rock/slate as you will see in the pictures i have over 100kg more of the rock and have heard its quite expensive twice expencive as the ocean rock which is something i didnt know and im getting 40 plants tommrowo in bunches of 8 diffrent varietys and gonna decorate the tank with it so its not so plain and maybe add some more rock. also i was going to do an undergravel filter because i have a 1800 l/ph powerhead but read up about them and people say there a nightmare to clean so changed my mind with that and should have my fish in the tank within a week:)

IMG_0410.JPG

Another picture

another picture 

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 176
This is my tank planted was thinking of getting more plants but was thinking im getting some fertiliser and it will look more lusher so my stick with the amount i have now.

IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back