What Is The Most Humane Way To Kill A Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but as the temperature decreases, the breathing rate slows. It should feel nothing. At least you don't feel bad for slicing it
 
I dont suppose anyone on here lives in Phoenix Arizona?

I live in phoenix, AZ. I can give him a home in an 80 gallon with some bichirs and synodontis cats. I also have a 180 gallon tank for when he's bigger. That, and I also work at a fish shop in Tucson, so regardless, the little guy will be okay.

~ Wonderboy!

ps - are you adding melafix or something of this nature??
 
Put it in between two blocks of wood (like a sandwich) and smack the wood really hard and fast with a hammer, it would feel nothing. It'd be instant.
 
Slit the spine, making the body immune to pain. If you do this method beware the fish will flop some after, but it is just nerve endings.
 
THis is the best way to do it:
buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under $10 for a � ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl in his own water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a lid (I use a cleaned out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank water. Put the lid on and shake it like crazy over and over until the liquid in it is white. Then pour a little into the mixing bowl with the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish might fight it just a little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more in and swirl again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he doesn't, try a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well before an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or zip-lock baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very humane.
 
Slowly add alchohol to his tank untill he passes out, add more then to kill him.
 
Slowly add alchohol to his tank untill he passes out, add more then to kill him.

umm, that kinda burns them you know that? if you got a gun, pellet gun, anything thats strong enough, just shoot it in the head. way easier than cutting its head off :sick:

Not rubbing alchohol, vodka. Not enough to burn them either, it doesnt take much (10 drops or so)
 
I used clove oil with a six catfish.. I just put loads of it in a small bowl of water. The fish was gone in about 2 seconds. I know there is some debate about clove oil, but it worked well for me.

Squid
 
i dont know if anyone realised, but at the top of the page someone has offered this poor little guy a home?
 
i dont know if anyone realised, but at the top of the page someone has offered this poor little guy a home?


I did :) :) :) .. was just offering advice if the home was not possible..

Lets hope the home option is taken!
 
The only humane methods are clove oil or destroying their brain.. like with a hammer or something.
Apparently cutting the spine isnt humane.. cant remember why. I think their heads can stay alive for 15 minutes after or something..
 
well IMO i think that keepi9ng it in ur little arear u got desaignated would be the best thing it may be hars for a month or so but wouldent u rater be cooped up for a month or so then live?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back
Top