What Is The Most Humane Way To Kill A Fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG-1

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Phoenix Arizona
The story goes, Ive got a friend who's kid cracked his tanl, he had 3 pangasius catfish in there he was going to flush because he is not replacing the tank. I have a tank full of cichlids and a large nasty RTS. Now I know what people are gonna say but it was either try to put the cats in there and at LEAST give em a chance or death by the toilet. Its a huge tank 125g so we thought what the hell. Put them in and in less than 12 hours, my auratus and Red Tail Shark eviscerated 2 of them and injured the 3'd pretty bad. I made it home in time to save the 3'd and he is recovering nicely in an isolation tank floating in the 125g where no one can touch him. Thing is I cant keep him in there indefinantly, these things grow like crazy, I cant let him out he's get torn apart. Ive got a 20g tank Im working on but it wont be ready for months. The only thing I can think of is to put him down, the local pet store will not take back fish so thats not an option, so Im left with whats the best way to kill a fish?
 
Have you actually asked if they will take them? If not asking for a refund they might, or ask a decent one they should take them, or try selling them, its sad to put them down. If you cant find a new home then whack him on the head and then peirce the brain. But please only kill him at a very last resort
 
Have you actually asked if they will take them? If not asking for a refund they might, or ask a decent one they should take them, or try selling them, its sad to put them down. If you cant find a new home then whack him on the head and then peirce the brain. But please only kill him at a very last resort

Yes they wont take them for fear of private fish coming in with disease:( I mean, I cant imagine he can live in this little cubicle for months? Its really sad:(
 
Decapitation with a very sharp knife is the quickest and surest method IMO. Take a deep breath and do it firmly and quickly.
 
Well I dont think he'd sit still for me to hit him right, Ive heard some people say to put them in a cup of water and put it in the freezer? Is this just a wives tale? Is it painful for them or do they truly just slip out of conciousness?
 
Ive had to do it a time or two with some silver tip tetras, but they were TINY.....

Did that by droppign them into a bowl of iced water as cold as i could get it. Gone in a second.

I think for anything much bigger youd not be able to use that method and im not convinced that using warm water cooled down in the freezer with the fish in it is humane.

Sorry but if you think its too big for a bowl of iced water, then the swift sharp knife method is probably the kindest.

Em
 
dont do the ice thing its not quick. Private fish diseased? Lol its the lfs ones that are likely to, how about private sale? The fish will sit still if you smack it on the head first
 
Damnit this just sucks, there is no good way to do this!!! I hate having to do this:( Im leaning towards the bowl of ice water, you guys think that's pretty quick? I just dont think I could wap the little dude with a knife:(
 
Well I cant imagine someone is gonna want to buy one small beat up catfish, I wonder if I should just let him into the tanl and let nature take its course?:(
 
I'm sure someone would be willing to take it.. is there a local aquarium forum you can post a free fish ad on? or any forum or buy/sell type paper?

Putting it in water and in the freezer wouldn't be painless, and it would be slow... not a good thing to do..

There's gotta be somewhere you can post a free ad in your area.
 
This is gonna sound really awful, and I've hesitated suggesting this in the past however, you seem to be in a bit of a difficult situation so here it is. Wrap it in a rag and hit it in the head with a hammer - hard. You won't have to look at it and it will surely be very quick.
 
What about freezing the poor guy??? Only do that as the last choice, or if you can't cut it with a sharp knife
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back
Top