What is the best Algea eating pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nichola_C

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I really really want a L066 but not sure they will be the best Algea eaters?

Could I get this and also another pleco that is a better Algea eater.

They have to stay small if I get both as I gave a 123L tank.

Any suggestions on one that will go with the L066

Last edited:
i think you could get a pleco but not because it eats algae, you should like and love the fish you get. probably will have to feed it too. most times algae controls itself when in an environment, basically when the tank has been set up a long time ( a lot of tthe time people have to control it themsleves not rely on creatures :)
correct me if im wrong.
also i THINK plecos are very territorial??

I really really want a L066 but not sure they will be the best Algea eaters?

Could I get this and also another pleco that is a better Algea eater.

They have to stay small if I get both as I gave a 123L tank.

Any suggestions on one that will go with the L066
Hey Nichola, the L066 would be a great option, consider 123L is a 32 gallon tank, I personally would get the L066 because it only gets (AROUND) 4 inches long. And you asked for another algae eating pleco, which in that scenario I would pick the bristlenose pleco, which gets bigger than the L066 by around 2 inches, but that's just a suggestion.

Plecos don’t eat much algae. Snails are better at that, IMO. I bought 2 plecos years ago to eat algae. All they do is hide all day and I have to feed them at night because not enough algae.

I'm getting alot of brown
Hey Nichola, the L066 would be a great option, consider 123L is a 32 gallon tank, I personally would get the L066 because it only gets (AROUND) 4 inches long. And you asked for another algae eating pleco, which in that scenario I would pick the bristlenose pleco, which gets bigger than the L066 by around 2 inches, but that's just a suggestion.
So its fine to get 2 different plecos and they won't be territorial with each other?

And is the bristlenose a good algea eater then?

So its fine to get 2 different plecos and they won't be territorial with each other?

I did want the L204, he's a beauty, but I like the stripes and after some investigation I found out they lose their stripes and turns more into spots when they are older.

They could get aggressive, or if you end up with a compatible M/F pair, they could breed...prolifically...many times

Plecos don’t eat much algae. Snails are better at that, IMO. I bought 2 plecos years ago to eat algae. All they do is hide all day and I have to feed them at night because not enough algae.
Oh really....I thought that's what they ate. Im old school, I used to have a basic common one when I was young, im talking 20 + years ago, and I'm sure he used to keep the place all clean. I loved that little guy ... problem was after a while he wasn't so little anymore and I unfortunately had to give him away as he got TOO big

What a L066 and a bristlenose would breed?
Not sure of the compatibility, sorry...I do know aquarists who had plecos breed, out of control, and ended up with dozens of fry that had to be rehomed...plecos bring a large bioload, and too many in a tank could cause serious water param issues.

Not sure of the compatibility, sorry...I do know aquarists who had plecos breed, out of control, and ended up with dozens of fry that had to be rehomed...plecos bring a large bioload, and too many in a tank could cause serious water param issues.
Maybe ill just stick to my L066 and then get a few siamese algea eaters instead then.

Most reactions

trending

Back