What is happening to my fry!?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I do, however, think they are reducing agents therefore can lower the oxygen content of the tank.

I do, however, think they are reducing agents therefore can lower the oxygen content of the tank.
This could be the cause and if so, what about other fish I add into the tank? 😳😬

Very strange things happening... Is there a way to test for oxygen levels in an aquarium then?

Very strange things happening... Is there a way to test for oxygen levels in an aquarium then?
buy an Oxygen (O2) test kit.

If you have aeration, there will be plenty of oxygen in the water.

Big fish die from lack of oxygen before small fish do. If the adult fish are not breathing heavily or gasping at the surface, there is plenty of oxygen in the water

Last edited:
buy an Oxygen (O2) test kit.

If you have aeration, there will be plenty of oxygen in the water.

Big fish die from lack of oxygen before small fish do. If the adult fish are not breathing heavily or gasping at the surface, there is plenty of oxygen in the water
The only time they gasp for air at the surface is when they inhale their food 😅

I would never water change a tank with fry in it until the fry are at least two-three weeks old and then I would only make small changes of 10-20%.

So yesterday I got up and I only had 9 fry out of the 40-50 I had the day before THEN today I woke up to 3... What is going on? The female doesnt look bigger amd the male is a good size a s well... Is it possible there is some sort of other living thing in my aquarium killing them at night? Its really confusing me at this point... It seems as though they only disappear at night and then when I wake up they are gone. This makes me believe its some sort of nocturnal creature hiding in my tank. They are fed well and have been growing alright for their species...
The same thing happens in my tank because I have three small Plecos. 99% of the time they only eat fish that died.. I keep small fish other than the Pleco‘s, but just yesterday I had a 3 inch German ram go missing. Gone. Poof. I’d like to think that he died naturally and was eating, but I just don’t know what happened. But if you have Pleco‘s in your tank they will eat anything and everything dead. sometimes it’s annoying because I can’t keep track of who died because they’re gone by the time I wake up. A lot of fish are nocturnal such as Plecos eat dead fish.. and rarely alive if it’s small enough (that’s my Oscars move. he swallows them headfirst and then I see him with a tail hanging out of his mouth 🙄) but my ram was 3 inches and the pleco is only like 4 inches and thin. you didn’t mention if you had any but if you don’t, I would suspect one of the parents is eating them to protect them or they are hungry themselves. It’s not unheard of for the parents to eat the fry.

The same thing happens in my tank because I have three small Plecos. 99% of the time they only eat fish that died.. I keep small fish other than the Pleco‘s, but just yesterday I had a 3 inch German ram go missing. Gone. Poof. I’d like to think that he died naturally and was eating, but I just don’t know what happened. But if you have Pleco‘s in your tank they will eat anything and everything dead. sometimes it’s annoying because I can’t keep track of who died because they’re gone by the time I wake up. A lot of fish are nocturnal such as Plecos eat dead fish.. and rarely alive if it’s small enough (that’s my Oscars move. he swallows them headfirst and then I see him with a tail hanging out of his mouth 🙄) but my ram was 3 inches and the pleco is only like 4 inches and thin. you didn’t mention if you had any but if you don’t, I would suspect one of the parents is eating them to protect them or they are hungry themselves. It’s not unheard of for the parents to eat the fry.
That's what I thought at first was that the parents ate them. But that's about 30-40 fry she would of had to eat in that one night. She would of had to be really fat when I woke up. What I'm thinking is either I have some sort of larvae that comes out at night to eat them OR they die for some reason and then the snails eat their bodies. (I have no plecos)

Aye, and you'll find all the snails in the tank climb to the top of the water in droves, if you have snails of course.

Last night I didnt want to say anything but now its morning and its still there... While I was sitting in front if the tank a 2nd fry appeared. It looks really skinny so maybe it was hiding for a long time not coming out??? But now I have two fry which kinda sucks cause it ruined the name for the other one, Nemo 😅. But now I have two fry, which is awesome but he has to have some invisibility power because as you look at it, IT VANISHES. In mid water, just poof, I'm not here anymore. Then all of a sudden it pops up out of no where... I'm confused at fish powers... My ither fry is growing well. You can see his top and bottom fins coming in. They are really small but their there.

Started my WC with 2 fry and now there are 5... So, @itiwhetu it seems the WCs add fry instead of make them vanish 😂

Put the remaining babies in a breeding net or icecream bucket.
I would but they honestly grow better when out... I dont know why. I tried using my breeder net before but it just didnt go well... They looked malnourished, small, and it seemed over crowded. I cant use an ice cream bucket because I dont have one and I cant put them in the 10g because I don't have a heater in it yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back