what is an airstone?

asparagus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is this and what do you need to have one? Does it have a plug or something to pump the air through it? Are there any that dont need a tube? Like just a pourous rock that will release air for a few weeks?
thanks!
ps- I was told recently that my betta will not like his 5 gallon tank w/ filter b/c they dont like filters and the 5 gallon will make him nervous b/c its too big. I was also told he will not like an airstone b/c it makes the water too turbulent. But I was thinking of getting an apple snail to go with him and supposedly apple snails LIKE airstones.
Does ANYONE agree with this as it goes against all my previous research.
(I dont have any fish just yet, still doing research-grin)
Thanks!
apsaragus

Hi and welcome!

An airstone is like a porous little rock (or big, depending on what size you get) that hooks up to an air pump, via airline tubing (just silicone tubing). When the pump gets turned on, air is forced through the tubing to the stone, pushing bubbles of air into the water (provided the airstone is in the water).

In most cases, airstones are not necessary for tanks. An air pump and airline tubing (and sometimes an airstone) are used to run under-gravel filters, at least in the little one-gallon AquaView tanks from Wal-Mart, and sponge filters.

Some people like the look of all the bubbles in their tank and have what is commonly referred to as a "bubble wall". To achieve that effect, a long airstone is hooked up to the air pump and tubing.

If more surface disturbance is needed (to help keep oxygen levels in the water higher), an airstone is a good idea. I had one in my tank when I had the temperature at 86* to treat ich. The warmer water gets, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold. The airstone helped put more oxygen in the water and create more surface disturbance to allow some more oxygen in.

I don't know if there are airstones that don't require a tube and pump, although I would doubt it. You can get tablets that will release oxygen for some period of time (not sure what the time period is, as I have never used them) which are sometimes used when transporting or shipping fish or plants.

The majority of Bettas will do just fine in a five-gallon tank. There may be the odd one or few that would prefer something a little smaller, but for most, a five-gallon would be great. A filter is fine, too. If the filter creates a lot of current, the Betta might not like that. Make sure there's a place in the tank with slower-moving water. Some Bettas likes airstones, some don't. Some like to play in the bubbles it produces. I don't know about snails liking airstones, as I don't know much about snails. If it's a five-gallon tank, you ought to be able to have an airstone in there, if you want, and still have some space for the Betta to get away from it, in some "calm" water. I believe the majority of Bettas prefer slow-moving water.

I hope that helps you out some :nod: If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Oh, depending on the temperature of the room you're going to have your Betta in, you may want to get a heater for his tank. Temperature fluctuations of more than a couple degrees can stress the fish out and make it more prone to getting sick.

Good luck :thumbs:

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

An airstone can be used with an air pump to provide aeration. Basicly, the bubbles rise to the water's surface and break. This disturbing of the surface increases the surface area and allows more oxygen to enter the water. This isn't necessary for bettas as they can breath atmospheric air, however, it doesn't harm them either. It is true that bettas don't like a strong current and usualy dislike the current caused by a filter, however, an airstone would not produce much current and would be useful as the beneficial bacteria used to convert ammonia/nitrites to nitrAte require oxygen. A 5 gallon tank is NOT too big! Bettas can be kept in any tank larger than 2 gallons. It is true that some feel uncomfortable if moved from a tiny tank to a huge one but 5 gallons isn't huge. Some people keep them in smaller tanks because of large numbers or limmited space (such as breeders) or as a temporary home. This is ok but I personaly wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 5 gallons. If you have the space and money and only want a single betta anyway, the least you can do is give the betta a little space to swim and feel at home.

So, an airstone would be useful but not necessary if you're only keeping a betta. You don't need a filter but one wouldn't hurt provided it wouldn't create a very strong current or suck his fins up. A HEATER is essential (I know people keep them without heaters but temperature fluctuations are stressful and result in disease - in the wild (though domestic bettas are far from their wild counterparts, I know) a betta would live in an environment around 78 deg F. If you have a single betta - spoil it and get a heater :D 5 gallons is NOT TOO BIG! :p ... that sounds like LFS advice...

As for apple snails, they grow quite big but should be ok with a betta.

edit: Aaah! You beat me to it! :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back