What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

Hiya! welcome to the forums, I hope you're having a great day! And snails are pains, fingers crossed you did not get a pregnant one otherwise you might have got a bit more for you're money hahaha. I currently am dealing with a pond snail infestation in my small community tank but I've just decided to let them be now as they've actually keeped the tank algae free for a week now lol :)
I'm not sure why my grandfathers "great snail infestation" stayed so fresh in my mind all these years later?? The mind is a strange place. Lol! But I remember his frustration over removing, what he believed was all of the little boogers only to have the same infestation all over again...and again. SMH! I think he finally moved the fish out and got rid of all the snails via the river, back then that was normal for just about everything aquatic that people no loner wanted. I'm surprised none of those discarded animals haven't grown to horror movie standards and killed the entire city. Lol! Bottom line, he had to start over from scratch. He didn't even use any of the plant life, scared there would be snail eggs hidden in them.

I'm not sure why my grandfathers "great snail infestation" stayed so fresh in my mind all these years later?? The mind is a strange place. Lol! But I remember his frustration over removing, what he believed was all of the little boogers only to have the same infestation all over again...and again. SMH! I think he finally moved the fish out and got rid of all the snails via the river, back then that was normal for just about everything aquatic that people no loner wanted. I'm surprised none of those discarded animals haven't grown to horror movie standards and killed the entire city. Lol! Bottom line, he had to start over from scratch. He didn't even use any of the plant life, scared there would be snail eggs hidden in them.
I am attaching with assassin snails in hopes they help.

Black racer, or any type of nerite, cannot take over a tank. The eggs don''t hatch in fresh water, they need brackish water (between fresh and sea water in saltiness). Females do lay sesame seed-like eggs but they just stay there. That's the downside to nerites. The eggs just stay there looking like a rash of white measles over the decor. But if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Mystery snails lay eggs looking like a bunch of grapes above the water so they are easy to see. All you have to do is remove the egg clusters. Again, if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Other snails - the large ramshorns and pest snails, lay their eggs in jelly under the water where they are hard to find. And Malaysian trumpet snails are livebearing snails so no eggs to find. These are the ones that take over.
The main cause of a snail population explosion is over feeding the fish. If there's no left over food, the snails don't multioly as fast.

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
Reed Fish, ate all my neons and guppies in 1 night. That was a few years ago tho

Black racer, or any type of nerite, cannot take over a tank. The eggs don''t hatch in fresh water, they need brackish water (between fresh and sea water in saltiness). Females do lay sesame seed-like eggs but they just stay there. That's the downside to nerites. The eggs just stay there looking like a rash of white measles over the decor. But if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Mystery snails lay eggs looking like a bunch of grapes above the water so they are easy to see. All you have to do is remove the egg clusters. Again, if you happen to buy a male, there won't be any eggs.

Other snails - the large ramshorns and pest snails, lay their eggs in jelly under the water where they are hard to find. And Malaysian trumpet snails are livebearing snails so no eggs to find. These are the ones that take over.
The main cause of a snail population explosion is over feeding the fish. If there's no left over food, the snails don't multioly as fast.
Thank you very much. This is very informative. Is there a way to tell a male from a female?

It is possible, but you have to know what you are looking for, and even then it can be hard to see without a powerful magnifying glass.
This shows how to tell in nerites, but to be honest I find it hard to see in the photos

This site is for mystery snails - the site no longer exists but it can be accessed via Wayback Machine so it will take longer than usual to open. Click on Anatomy in the menu on the left of the home page.

But it is doubtful a store will allow to you st get a snail out of a tank and let you study it with a magnifying glass before buying :blink:

I have read somewhere that there are some snails that have both sexes. Nature is amazing and confusing.
From my experience pond, bladder, and ramshorn snails can reproduce on their own.
Thanks to @Essjay ,
I now know MTSs are live bearers!
Nerite eggs are unsightly, but well worth the benefit you get from the snail.
?.
Also, Assassin snails will reproduce with two so be careful to check substrate if you have more than one.
The eggs show up on the bottom of plant stems (at least in my tank) and look like tiny square tags. Then they go into the substrate...the babys are sooo tiny!

Last edited:
From this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/
Not only are MTS livebearing snails but you only need 1 of them to end up with a lot of them.

Cerithoidea: Thiaridae and Pachychilidae[/SIZE]
Common names:
- Thiaridae: trumpet snails, Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS)
- Pachychilidae: rabbit snails, Sulawesi snails

kierteiset_.jpg

(image from https://www.fishforums.net/threads/snail-species.75554/ )

Thiarids are a group of freshwater snails where most species reproduce by parthenogenesis, a form of asexual reproduction. Therefore, only a single individual from most species is required to produce a colony in an aquarium. Similarly to Viviparids, eggs develop inside the mother and offspring are released as fully formed little snails. Thiarids are also remarkably hardy, being able to withstand adverse water conditions by burrowing into the substrate and closing up. Most thiard species seen in the trade do not exceed 1”/2.5cm in length. Tarebia granifera and Melanoides tuberculata are two of the more commonly seen species.

From https://www.fishforums.net/threads/snail-species.75554/ :
“Shell is conical, 5 -> spires, they have [an] operculum, heart shaped mouth and thin tentacles. Malaysian trumpet snails, MTS, are really useful snails. They eat algae and leftover fish food (also dead fish and fish eggs), dead plant material and they will usually leave live plants alone. They burrow in the sand during daytime unless there are too many snails or the substrate is too compacted and going bad. They will help with keeping the sand loose. When the lights are off the snails head towards the surface and start eating algae.”

Species known as rabbit or Sulawesi snails from Pachychilus and Tylomelania sometimes appear in the aquarium trade, although they are a fairly rare and recent addition. These freshwater snails are similar to Thiarids in terms of overall appearance and behavior, although some Pachychilid species seen in the trade are larger and with brightly colored bodies.

I think he finally moved the fish out and got rid of all the snails via the river, back then that was normal for just about everything aquatic that people no loner wanted. I'm surprised none of those discarded animals haven't grown to horror movie standards and killed the entire city. Lol!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back