What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

what species is that? peppered cories? and please tell me your secret to such great photos. the little buggers always run away and are way too active...
do you have tips on breeding them?
They are Julii Corydoras.

As far as the photos go... I use a high quality camera (Lumix) that captures images quickly. On those two photos, I was lucky enough for them to be right up against the glass, that’s why they turned out so well. :)

(I don’t have any advice on breeding, sorry. :/)

They are Julii Corydoras.

As far as the photos go... I use a high quality camera (Lumix) that captures images quickly. On those two photos, I was lucky enough for them to be right up against the glass, that’s why they turned out so well. :)

(I don’t have any advice on breeding, sorry. :/)
oof that is a little out of my budget... yeah the exposure takes too long on an iphone. have a canon(pretty good one) but not a good lens. i really want a closeup lens though
its okay about the breeding. i just let them do their own thing.

I agree on chinese algae eaters. They get horrible. Never tried yoyo loaches, but I read mixed things about them. They seem to be easiest to get along with with a lot of space and a biggish school. They sure look cool. But I'm a loach guy. Never liked the looks of cories that much.

Betta. Well, I didn't buy it but agreed to take it as it needed a home. To me it was a bit gaudy and boring all at once. Not my sort of fish as it turned out. Luckily it only lives another 3 years.

Maybe I should have put this in the "unpopular opinions" thread. ?

The worse fishes i bought were my last batch of Zebra Danios.
The Corys hardly ever came out cos they were constantly chasing each other at all levels of the tank.
The Zebras ate every bit of food they saw, i dropped sinking wafers in for the Corys & they would eat it all. But then the Corys got revenge by swimming up to the surface barging the Zebras out of the way & start eating

I regret buying a pond tench on the account that it is black and olive green making it nearly impossible to see. I have only managed to spot it swimming in front of more colourful fish a handful of times in the last 12 years!
haha my spotted cories blend in with my sand perfectly(dont regret buying those)

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
Dario dario
(Scarlet badis)

Don't regret any of them. They all taught me.something or brought joy to my environment, so, I don't regret a single one.

What they teach varies. Some teach not to spend money on another one of them. Some are the gift that keeps on giving. My common pleco taught me that I needed the excuse of it growing to keep upgrading tank sizes and stayin on the good side of the better half (next tank is going to be a monster....at least over 200 gallons). They all teach something.

Oh. Why?!
First and foremost I didn't do enough research.
Secondly, I hadn't fully understood how important it is for fish to have others of its species...for reasons of health and wellbeing. I should probably qualify that with a "most all species" as I am not an expert. Therefore, I bought only two males...although misled by another poor soul into believing I was getting a male and female, I cannot excuse myself for the oversight. I was also not aware that they were carnivorous.
It was a purchase of desparation! I was fully in the throes of the thrill seeking behavior that ultimately led to my current state of dependence.
Finally, I could not care for them correctly and one of them passed, hopefully without much pain. I was able to rehome the other, and for that I am grateful.

When I have a moment I will find some images. They are STUNNING creatures.

The worse fish I've bought:
Serpae Tetras (I bought one and then thought he was lonely so bought another serpae tetra and then the original one ended up starving him)
Cories (They are cute and good bottom cleaners but were quite fragile and most I bought died within a year)
Chinese Algae Eater (Big, Mean, and had no place in a 10 gallon especially when he got older)
Oto's (died within a week)
Betta's (died within two days)
Platy ( I love platies, but I bought a female platy and a male swordtail and then put them together in a 10 gallon. Eventually had to move to her own tank, such was the relentless mating attempts of the swordtail.)
Glofish Tetras (I actually never got a chance to find out what they were like because they died the morning after I put them in. The pet store guy told me that since it was a new tank I just had to wait two days and have the filter on during that period and then it would be okay to put in fish. This was before I knew NOT TO TRUST PET STORE WORKERS.)

Most reactions

Back