What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That's good :) It's quite a while since I had my frogs and it is quite possible they've produced pale dwarf frogs by selective breeding by now.

That's good :) It's quite a while since I had my frogs and it is quite possible they've produced pale dwarf frogs by selective breeding by now.
My first frogs ever (not counting the childhood frog breeding I did from the ponds), and I hope I didnt buy some perverted modification :)
BUt clawed frogs should be albinos and they have red eyes, and these dont, so hopefully all good

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals an
Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
I don’t regret buying any of my fish i love them all the same

I regret listening to the local pet shop about the fish I’ve bought from them and regret not researching some of them properly before gettting them

Moral of this story-Never listen to the store owner/Staff as there primary goal is to sell stock not worry about where that stock is going to live!

So, I was desperate for dithers In my outside tank, so I bought a few various livebearers. Well, one specific one, a Platy, has been popping babies out for 1 month straight. I don’t want these lol
Well that is why you buy them in pairs; one to have babies and one to eat them as the other is having them.

Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra. Found in Uruguay and Northern Argentina
Can't find anything about it - is it a mouthbrooder or substrate layer (genus has both) I was going to get some winemelleri for a ram tank next year (i realize the gymogeophagus genus is not suitable since they are a bit cooler water) and the genus caught my interest.

Can't find anything about it - is it a mouthbrooder or substrate layer (genus has both) I was going to get some winemelleri for a ram tank next year (i realize the gymogeophagus genus is not suitable since they are a bit cooler water) and the genus caught my interest.
I’m not incredibly knowledgeable about this species, but I believe it is a Mouthbrooder. They stay small, around 4-5 inches. I found an online breeder. I have them in an outside heavily planted halfway full 55g. They stay near the substrate, but they arent always there. Since they are dwarf earth eaters (Gymno meaning dwarf, geo meaning earth, and phagus Meaning eater), they do eat stuff Off the bottom. I’ll have a pair next spring, and 1,000’s of fry if you would want some 👍

I’m not incredibly knowledgeable about this species, but I believe it is a Mouthbrooder. They stay small, around 4-5 inches. I found an online breeder. I have them in an outside heavily planted halfway full 55g. They stay near the substrate, but they arent always there. Since they are dwarf earth eaters (Gymno meaning dwarf, geo meaning earth, and phagus Meaning eater), they do eat stuff Off the bottom. I’ll have a pair next spring, and 1,000’s of fry if you would want some 👍
Ok. There was an article i did find about the genus that indicated the Mouthbrooders were more suitable for community aquariums as they were less aggressive. Some of the substrate layers were described as down out right rabid. Having said that your specific species was not described.
--
Sometime next spring/summer I'll be setting up a 450 that will be kept around 77; so sure i'll try a few if you do get thousands ;)

However I am in the southeast so you would have to be able to ship them....

I'm planning on selling them to fellow aquarists. I paid 125 dollars for a small group of 6 to be shipped from Georgia to San Diego. I'll contact you when I get some.

2 snails one was a yellow one who ventured outside the tank and dried out 30 mins after I bought it and a little cone shaped one that my betta thought looked tasty

I think the fish I regret the most were oscars. A friend had eighty or so little oscars from I guess his pair. I traded a couple of cool fossilized shark teeth I found on Shark Tooth Hill outside of Bakersfield, CA. He gave me four oscars and six angelfish. The angelfish were the size of a dime and the oscars were maybe an inch. When my guppies and neons began decreasing in number, I realized the oscars were vicious so I did what any fish hoarder would do, I bought a 150 gallon tank and became best friends with the bait store owner (for the gold fish and crawdads) and the man who scraped brine shrimp off of the boats he rented to tourists. This was San Diego in the early 80s. I also had to buy a larger tank for the angel fish. Loved the angel fish, hated the oscars. I kept them for six years and (probably too much information) ended up selling the oscars and tank to a marine biologists. When we took the underground filtration system out, there were a few shrimp that survived the big oscars and three baby oscars the friend said were pulled under and were probably a couple months old. I, too, regret all those goldfish I bought and kept in those awful bowls.

Most reactions

trending

Back