What Do You Think?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steve...c

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi
i got a new tank (second hand) from someone and set it up there was still a inch of water in the tank and the filter was filthy i washed the tank out and the filter and changed the pads, i run warm water over the filters gravel things!!

i got a few bottle of treatment and some test equipment with it but no ammonia testing but did a nitrate test a minute ago to find a low level of nitrate, ive have had the tank circulating for a few days and there is a small fish in the tank, do you think some of the BB might of survived n the filter? or would there be traces of BB anyway?

just a few questions first...
how big is the tank?
what sort of filter is it?
how long had the filter been out of the water?
what did you wash the filter in/ under (tank water or tap water)
what sort of fish is it? pic?

how big is the tank?

hi chrisrm, thanks for reading.

the tank is 102L
the filter is a EHEIM ECCO???
the filter had only been out the water for the time i was cleaning it but was switched off for over a week when i got the tank, but the tank had a inch of water in it and the filter was under the cabnet still attached so its not been out the water so to speak.
i washed the filter under tap water just "water" :sad:
and the fish i found at the bottom of the tank in the inch of water i think is a dwarf loach i have posted a photo of it on my 1st post

thanks for your time :good: :good: :hyper:

how big is the tank?

the tank is 102L
the filter had only been out the water for the time i was cleaning it but was switched off for over a week when i got the tank, but the tank had a inch of water in it and the filter was under the cabnet still attached so its not been out the water so to speak.
and the fish i found at the bottom of the tank in the inch of water i think is a dwarf loach i have posted a photo of it on my 1st post

from what i know and it may not be right but the BB in the filter may have died when the filter was turned off as it didnt get a steady stream of ammonia as no water was passing through it on a regular basis... but the tap water would have killed the BB anyway so im guessing you will need to cycle it from scratch.

how big is the tank?

the tank is 102L

from what i know and it may not be right but the BB in the filter may have died when the filter was turned off as it didnt get a steady stream of ammonia as no water was passing through it on a regular basis... but the tap water would have killed the BB anyway so im guessing you will need to cycle it from scratch.

thanks for that but what would explain the low nitrate level in my new water?

like superman1 said, the tap water you washed the filter pads in contains chlorine wich would have killed the bactira i did the same for weeks when i got my first tank (i thought water was water!)

the low nitrate level in your tank is explained here link

also i dont know if you have looked herebut it gives a lot of info you might find handy!

like superman1 said, the tap water you washed the filter pads in contains chlorine wich would have killed the bactira i did the same for weeks when i got my first tank (i thought water was water!)

also i dont know if you have looked herebut it gives a lot of info you might find handy!

yes thanks, i do understand all that and did plan to do that but if you read this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/329819-dwarf-loach/page__pid__2739105__st__0&#entry2739105

you will understand my situation, do you think its best to just lose the fish from the off? his been through enough(but looking and eating well) and just thought he might make it, after all his one tough cookie???

yes thanks, i do understand all that and did plan to do that but if you read this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/329819-dwarf-loach/page__pid__2739105__st__0&#entry2739105

you will understand my situation, do you think its best to just lose the fish from the off? his been through enough(but looking and eating well) and just thought he might make it, after all his one tough cookie???

i wouldnt like to say as i dont know what dwarf loaches are like in a "fish in cycle" but do plenty of water changes. your tank is quite large for one small fish and i dont know how that effects the filter as the amount of ammonia would be tiny

someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you tomorow no doubt :nod:

i wouldnt like to say as i dont know what dwarf loaches are like in a "fish in cycle" but do plenty of water changes. your tank is quite large for one small fish and i dont know how that effects the filter as the amount of ammonia would be tiny

someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you tomorow no doubt :nod:

yeah was thinking that about the filter myself , would take forever to get the BB going. thanks for taking some time to help tho... :good:

if the worst comes to the worse and you find you cant keep him while you are cycling for whatever reason post on here maybe someone is close enough to look after him while you cycle then have him back after if there is noone you could ask your lfs to look after him if you give them a bit of the old moolah

just a suggestion :)

Ash

i would do this http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=224306 and add as many live plants as i could, within reason

if the worst comes to the worse and you find you cant keep him while you are cycling for whatever reason post on here maybe someone is close enough to look after him while you cycle then have him back after if there is noone you could ask your lfs to look after him if you give them a bit of the old moolah

just a suggestion :)

Ash

is that a offer there ash :hyper: :lol:
dont think the LPS would risk taking in anything due to the risk of infecting there intire stock!
nah i think after sitting at a bottem of the tank for a week in murky wee water my tank is probly like paradise to him and he actually looks like his having fun in there. :good:

i would do this http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=224306 and add as many live plants as i could, within reason

yeah thanks meguro, looks like im gona have to try this option :good:

if im close to you i actually would take him off you until you have cycled your tank :) anything to help someone out :good:

Ash

if im close to you i actually would take him off you until you have cycled your tank :) anything to help someone out :good:

Ash

ash

aw thats very nice of you thanks ash! he seems fine at the mo, he thinks he died last week and is in fishy heaven ha :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back