What do you hate when little kids r in a LFS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:) felt i had to reply to this topic. i have 2 boys aged 8 and 5. i take them to my lfs all the time and they behave.........they would never bang on tank glass or go running down the ailses. maybe its cos i bring my kids up to value the people and animals around them............

Its not the kids, its the parents being irrasponsible. Also the shop should have polite notices up, to "inform" parents of the accepted parametors of childrens behavior.

I have a 10 month old son, I take him to my lfs and he trys to bang on the glass when I hold him up to see the fish but I take a "responsible" role and tell him that it will scare the fishes. At home he never hits my tank.

well if u mean like 5 and 6 year olds i must say when they want to touch the fish u buy, but i still love to see a calm kid sitting there fascinated by what u bought, but most kids were i go r calm and there parents look over them well. one ven fell asleep befor on the floor so she never bugged me lol.

i hate them banging on the glass....but as everyone agrees that really is up to the parents to tell them not to do it & why...kids always want the why so if you tell em it usually helps a lot as none of them really want to hurt the fish...theyre just excited about seeing them. its just like with all animals/pets... kids need to be told/learn how to behave/handle them so they know that theyre living things that can 'hurt' or be frightened. my parents taught me from a very early age how to treat all animals,fish etc etc so i knew & i guess got my love & respect of all nature,finned,furred & winged from them.

Since, everyone keeps posting on this topic, what really bothers me isn't the children. I truly believe at that young age we should not expect them to act grown up and instantly wise. I do find it fretful when I ask the children to stop banging on the glass and their parents get in my face saying, "Who do you think you are, telling my kids what they can or can't do!?" To which I usually reply, "Since you're not being a good parent right now, I guess I'm doing your job." Cheers! :p

what annoys me in when little kids arrive at the lfs in SWARMS (yes, kids do travel in swarms :p )
Then they all group around the tank (and its usually the one I'm trying to look at) and they start tapping the glass and screaming at each other to move because they can't see the fish.

Itty Bitty Betta said:
I'd like to put those kids in a phonebooth and place them right in the middle of an Indy500 to let them understand how the fish feel. :shifty: [/font]
OMG, Itty Bitty Betta you are too much LMAO. I was gonna pee my pants when I read that lol. You made my day. :D

Kids that buy a ten gallon with 5 fish that get huge or a bunch (15-20) small ones to go in a tank like that annoy me. Then the parents don't knoow anything about the fish and just dump them in the water when the tank is filled up. Then all the fish die, and they keep coming back to get more thinking the fish died of natural causes.

I also went to an aquarium 2 months after finding nemo (boo!!!) came out. I went to see the saltwater fish and I began to look at the clownfish. 15 or so kids ran in screaming nemo and tapping on the glass pointing at the fish and screaming. Poor fish got the crud scared out of them. Its rediculus what movies can do. A lot of people bought clownfish and didn't know how to take care of them. I'm sure some dumbos put them in freshwater tanks or just poured a container of table salt into a tank and thought that would make it safe. That movie gives people the wrong idea about fish. (They could have atleast quarantined nemo or had a tank that wasn't so overstocked, all those fish would be extremely cramped or even dead) I've never had a saltwater tank but I would know more than the people who bought "nemos", or "Dories". Just my opinion :D

I also had figure 8 puffers once and my brothers and their friends would constantly try to spook them to make them puff up. Boy did I get MAD. They ran like the wind after I caught (and released) them. :p

I was their age 5 years ago so, I can't really say I never did it :D

I started keeping fish when i was 10, did everything to the best of my knowledge from the start, cycling the tank and what not before adding the fish. It all really comes down to how good of parents they have. Or how much the kids can control the parents. Either way it can be annoying!

sunbot said:
I hate it when 5-6-7 year olds shout and wack the glass.

what do you hate about kids behavior in a local fish shop?
I said it before , I look at the parents :angry: , :nod: I love to see little kids in pet stores , I've been bringing mine since they were all very small reinforcing safe behavior [ for all involved ] .No running , I would tell them that banging on the glass gave the fish a headache , because they would never have understood a discution on stress or worse . If unexeptable behavior bothers you you should say something to the parents , what's the worst that could happen , obviously it bothers you [ and a few others here ] so speak up .

Someone else mentioned refraining from tripping a child :no: , that would definately be a good thing to refrain from doing :nod: , some people get real defensive when it comes to their children . Me in particular ,Trip the parent instead . :rofl:

I coach boys baseball [ 4 years now ], the ages mentioned , they drive me up the wall sometimes :hyper: :hyper: :look: [ 12-13 little boys in my face at one time ] IMO there's no such thing as a bad kid , sometimes there are ignorent parents and that is very sad and where the problem lies . Some parents try to use me for an hour and a half of baby sitting :angry: , I don't think so ..

Sorry if this sounds defensive , well it is , the kids don't deserve the wrap here .

My point is ," DON'T PICK ON THE LITTLE KIDS "
, behavior is learned , it really isn't their fault .

Oh and aren't we all part of society. :nod:

I agree that parents need to teach thier children how to behave. I have a 3 year old(4 in July) and he is usually good when we are at the lfs. There are days though when he decides he doesn't want to listen and wants to run around, and I'm sure all kids have those days. That is when I take him by the hand and give him a talking to. If he's still not being good, we leave the store. So, even though it annoys me to no end, there are times when I can't really blame the parent. They just have to learn when to take the children home because of bad behavior.

Just had to defend the good parents out there that really do try to control little kids :nod:

Gabe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back