what crab to get?

Fuzzy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
well im gonna get a new crab for my 30 gal but i dont no which one would be best. my fish r listed bellow.
i had a arrow crab but its legs got sucked into the filter actualy they more of got stuck :(
i want one that would be really good with cleaning up missed food and other things.

Maybe a sally light foot? They get decent sized, but seldom go after fish, and are very good cleaners. A pair of cleaner shrimp might work as well--though they tend not to scavenge as much as the sally will. They also tend to leave the microfauna--worms, pods, etc, alone.

IMO no crabs are reef safe. I've had an emerald crab try to kill fish before.

That said, IF i were to get a crab, i would definately go with a Pom Pom crab. They carry little anenomes in their claws to catch food and for defense. Awesome looking lil guys.

crabs_pompom.JPG

From www.liveaquaria.com

Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1"
Color Form: White, Tan
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Hawaii
Family: Xanthidae

The Pom Pom Crab is white to tan in coloration and has darker markings covering the body which serve as camouflage for the crab. This crab often carries an anemone in each claw which it uses for defense. Besides defense, the crab will also use the anemones to mop up food off of the rocks and substrate.

The Pom Pom Crab is an interesting addition to an aquarium with its anemones in each hand. It raises these anemones at would be predators and aids in cleaning the aquarium of any left over food and detritus. Caution should be used when adding this crab to a reef aquarium as the anemones could sting sessile invertebrates and corals.

The diet of the Pom Pom Crab should include meaty foods such as mysid shrimp, chopped fish and clams.

Approximate Purchase Size: 1/2" to 1"

dont forget the light to feed the anenemoes... do you have coral ect. if not maybe a decorator crab? (same as arrow but a bit smaller and has sponges anonemoes peices or coral ect. on its shell for cammoflage (sp?)

You don't have to worry about the lighting for the little anenomes. They get food when the crab mops stuff up with them.

o ok
im gonna go to the lfs tommarow and check out the crabs and see how i like them so when i have the money ill buy the one i want

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back