What Could This Be? White Patch

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pinkynicca

Reaction score
Hello, first sorry if this is in the wrong area, i rescued a 55 gallon tank with a group of 5 rainbows the tank was gross and no taken care of i have been putting alot of money into it and for some reason struggling a little but gettings the water numbers perfect.. today i noticed about 4 of the rainbow sharks have a white? perhaps silverish blotches on them.. i wondering what it could be, it does not look fuzzy or cotton like.. it doesnt look like an open wound so im confused at to what medicine to buy or what i can do to get rid of it, sorry about the picture quality hopfully you can see what im talking about. also the fish are very active.. thanks alot!!

Hi what fish do you have in the tank? 4 Rainbow sharks in one tank sounds quite bad, they are pretty species intolerant and need to be kept 1 per tank to prevent deaths. It looks like they may have been biting each other which might be the white marks on the skin.

What other fish do you have in there?

Wills

so i bought this tank from a woman who didnt take care of it, it looked terrible.. i have put alot of time and money into and ive only had it for a week..
the tank came with a bunch of fish..

5 rainbow sharks (1 albino)
2 young balla sharks
2 young keyhole cichilds
1 clown loach
1 big common pleco
1 catfish very small dont know what kind.

i know there are too many sharks but not sure how to get ride of them its a 55 gallon
it has been up and running with me for about a week i Just took these water numbers

ammonia = 1
nitrate = 40
nitrite = 5
ppm hard = 120
alkalinity = 40
ph = 6.5

i worry alot about my animals and hate when something is wrong. i heard with the tank being this fresh high numbers are common.. any advice is much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

Wills is right with that number of Rainbow sharks the most likely reason is a bite. Either that or a disease known as velvet, Though unfortunately that isn't my main concern. You warter parameters are highly likely to start killing fish and soon, if you haven't lost any already.

Ammonia at any measure above 0ppm burns the fish, and they die as a result. Nitrite damages their internal organs and again, they die as a result. In short you need to cycle your filter and grow the necessary levels of bacteria which in turn neutralize both the ammonia and nitrite. There are links to cycling in the help and welcome section if I'm not mistaken. By the way what did you use to test the aquarium water?

*Edit*

Here is the link to cycling: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ see either "fishless" or "fish-in" to help get you started and the create a "cycling" thread in that forum section and the members will guide you through the process.

so i bought this tank from a woman who didnt take care of it, it looked terrible.. i have put alot of time and money into and ive only had it for a week..

Ok first of all let me just say well done for taking on a challenging tank, despite being new to the hobby :) I have done this in the past and it is rarely easy!

As above says first thing to do is to get your water in a situation where you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate - your nitrate being at 40 is a good indicator that things are going in the right direction though.

The link that Primous provided is an excellent section for you to read, though I would read the sections about the Nitrate Cycle and the Fish in Cycle, fishless is not really an option right now as it means reahome all your fish and since you are part way through the cycle now anyway you will be able to manage it.

Right now its a case of regular water changes and water testing, its probably going to be daily for a few days perhaps weeks but it will drop down in time. I would suspect that some of the bad water has come from the move and the filter being unplugged and also some of the large fish producing too much waste for the tank to deal with.

What kind of filter do you have? Also very important! DO NOT clean the filter or filter pads with tap water as the chlorine will kill off all your good bacteria you are currently trying to build up.

I think that your best bet for some of the fish you have now is to rehome them some of them get too big for this tank and would generally be regarded as unsuitable.

Where abouts are you located? Perhaps a member can either take some fish off you or help you find a shop that rehomes. If you have a maidenhead aquatics near you (if you are in the UK) they often take in fish, though they can not buy from you but they will take them in. The advantage of this is they have tanks big enough for your large growing fish and also lots of others of the same type of your schooling fish.

So from the fish count you got I would try and rehome

4 rainbow sharks or 5 if you dont not want these in your tank long term
2 young balla sharks
1 big common pleco
1 clown loach - though if this is still small this is less of a priority as they take ages to grow but if you can I would as it takes up room and long term your tank is not big enough to house a group of them.

However you actually have some really nice fish in there. The Keyholes are a lovely fish and start you off with a really good center piece fish to perhaps take your tank down the Amazon route? I think your small catfish could be a Cory Catfish? Google the name and have a look at the images. Or perhaps an Oto if it is really small? Either way these need to be in groups which are always nice, if my guess on the cories is right make sure they are all the type like if they are Panda ones get all Panda or if they are Bronze you can get all Bronze or a mix of Bronze and Albino as the Albino ones in the stores are Albino Bronze.

I can really tell you care for this tank and the fish already so please forgive my post if it comes across as cold, I know messages on the internet often can but just doing my best to get you on the right track - dont underestimate how much info you can get from this forum :) It will always save you money as well, as a general rule I am always cautious when I need to buy an aquatic product and always check on here first if I really need it or if the shop is just trying to make money off me - same goes for fish never underestimate the lack of knowledge the fish store assistant really has - always make them tell you everything and if your still not sure write down the name google it at home and go back the next day, you will rarely miss a fish by a day if you can.

hope its helped
Wills

i have a penguin dual head 350gph filter set up, the last owner had a little tiny crappy filter.. i tried reading on the fish in cycle im sooo confused im at work at the moment.. what should i do as soon as i get home to get the ammonia to 0 as quick as possible!?!? thanks for the replys

Also not sure the name ill check whwn I get home but it was a 40$ test strip kit from the pst store 25 5 in 1 strips and 25 ammonia strips

Also not sure the name ill check whwn I get home but it was a 40$ test strip kit from the pst store 25 5 in 1 strips and 25 ammonia strips

you can't beat a good BIG water change to get the ammonia and nitrite down! Go as low as you can, then you may need to do a second one to really get the water parameters acceptable - don't forget to dechlorinate the water going in and match it as close as you can to the existing water temperature! And ensure the heater is always lying below water surface or switch it off if exposing it.

And liquid test kits tend to give better results...good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back