What Colour?

ryanred5

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi

I've got a new 200 litre corner tank waiting to be setup, I was going to have a black background and gravel, but was told that they would make my Discus looking dull and dark.

The fish going in the new tank are:-

3 Discus (German Blue Turk, Marlboro Red & Yellow Pigeon Blood)
Cardinal & Rummynose Tetras
Corys (Bronze, Albino & Julii)
Bristlenose Catfish

I thought I'd ask on here what colour background and gravel everyone has in their indoor tanks?

If you use sand, I've also got a few more questions:

What's it like with external uplifts?

Does it constantly get stirred up with fish like Corys noseying away in it?

What's the best sand to go for, colour wise and texture?

Thanks very much, I appreciate your help. :)
 
Well I prefer black sand/gravel, got it all but one of my tanks. Dont think it would make the discus looked washed out IMO.

Ive found no problems with the externals and sand - just make sure the intake tube isnt too close to the sand - maybe an two inch away.

The corys will snuffle through it, but they dont really kick it up enough to worry about.
 
you might also find adding 2 more discus would benefit you

they like to be in groups!!

(although having said this, i had a discus in a community tank....and he was the tamest fish ive ever had... he would chase my hand around the tank when i was cleaning... and try and nibble the net lol
 
I prefer black backgrounds & gravel. I have found that the colours of my fish look more intense. May also help to make more timid fish like your tetras & discus feel more secure.
 
i went with black just recently, and i love it, theres no way it would make the discus look dull, jambos black and he really stands out with this background, cant wait to change the new oscars tank, but hes still sulking at the moment
002-20.jpg
 
yeah i dont think black gravel/sand would make fish look washed out
scot
 
Black sand does the opposite, in my experience. Fish have bolder colors while on the black sand. I used to have white and liked the look of it, but I wanted the best look out of my fish so I changed it. I haven't regretted it at all!
 
Ooooh see now I don't know what to do, cos I'm being told two different things.

The reason I'm confused is cos I've always had a picture background and browny coloured pea gravel, now I want something different with it being a new corner tank.

Would white sand and black background look okay do you think?

Invader if you have black sand, what colour background do you have?
 
White sand is fine, providing you dont mind daily scooping up of poop! It shows something awful IMO, hence the reason i changed to black :lol:

But plenty of people have the argos playsand which is whitish, and have black backgrounds and it does look good.
 
Hi Minxfishy

Have you got a pic of your tanks with the black sand please so I can see what they look like?
 
I have indeedy.

50G Severum set up

HPIM0906.jpg


HPIM0847.jpg


62G Oscar set up

HPIM0872.jpg


The betta tank

HPIM0822.jpg


Note I dont have a black background though - its a juwel picture rock background.
 
Thanks for those pics Minxfishy they are great.

Mmmmmm I'm not sure about the black sand now I've seen it, your tanks are lovely with it in but I don't think its for me. (I hope that hasn't offended you, as it isn't meant too). :)

Is the background you have just a stick on outside one or the one that goes inside the tank?
 
:lol: no offence taken, Ive tried many different gravels and light coloured sand, its all down to personal preference :) Mine isnt fine sand either, its a very fine black gravel, feels like coarse sand and the waste still sits on the top like sand, but doesnt get sucked up the gravel vac as bad as sand does :)

The background is a juwel background, its two sided, one is the rocks that you can see on the two larger tanks with the other side a blue background with plants on. You just stick on the back of the tank. Whilst the rock backgrounds that juwel make to go inside the tanks are more realistic, it takes up too much space for my liking.
 
Ooooh see now I don't know what to do, cos I'm being told two different things.

The reason I'm confused is cos I've always had a picture background and browny coloured pea gravel, now I want something different with it being a new corner tank.

Would white sand and black background look okay do you think?

Invader if you have black sand, what colour background do you have?
I have a tank with black sand and black background, along with another tank with white sand and a black background. They both look good imo! Right now I am favoring the white sand look, just because it makes the tank look awesome... but I also love how the fish pop on the black sand. Again, it's really up to you.

Here is a picture of my tank with the black sand and background... it's pretty bare right now, but I will be working on it more when I get more time and more wood.

DSC_0241.jpg


:lol: I had to stand very far away to get that shot. It's a 6 ft tank.

Here's the picture of it before, when it had white sand and more wood:
DSC01040.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top