What can live with Pea Puffers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kyanite14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My LPS sells baby pea puffers that live in the same tank as the endlers. Originally I wanted a pair of Albino Rachovii Killifish, but they ended up being too aggressive and sensitive, and attacked one of my guppies before dying. To be honest, the LPS Killifish don’t look very healthy. On the shipment days they look ok, but after a few days they droop and lose color. I have a black worm colony and would love to have a fish that primarily eats live food, but I have other fish in my tank to think about.

I tried using Aqua Advisors calculator, but it told me they were too aggressive for any of my stock. However, when googling tank mates, Google said the opposite, and that all of my species would work fine.

Would a Pea Puffer work with neon tetras, male guppies, nerite snails and dwarf gouramis? The pea puffers at the store are tiny right now. If they are too aggressive, what other species do you suggest?

I've tried housing pea puffers with other fish and they will kill them. I had what is called an imposter pea puffer and I moved him from a 15 gallon tank where he was killing other tank inhabitants to 120 gallon tank where he started killing tetras, so no matter the size of the tank these little guys are killers. Which is why it's recommended that as the puffer becomes an adult you keep them individually in a tank. The pea puffer would coexist with amano shrimp just because the shrimp were bigger he didn't feel they were a threat but that might depend on the pea puffer.

Seriously fish is a good resource in general https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/carinotetraodon-travancoricus/

Puffers are die-hard predators, even the pea-sized ones. You could have tankmates, but the need to be robust, fast, and not have flow-y fins. The way they are kept at the LPS is just temporary. It's usually a bad idea to judge compatibility based on how fish are kept at a pet store.

Endlers and guppies would be a bad idea in my opinion. Pea puffers specifically eat snails, so I think nerites would be a bad idea as well. I wouldn't recommend shrimp either, but maybe adult Amano shrimp would be safe. Neon tetras or dwarf gouramis might work. Dwarf gourami might be a bad idea though. A fast, robust fish kept in a school would work, maybe some larger more robust tetras or rasboras. I feel like corydoras could work, but I'm not sure. Seriously Fish seems to think Otos could work too. You can keep multiple pea puffers in one tank, seriously fish suggests 2-3 gallons per pea puffer.

It will depend on the pea puffer you get. Different fish have different personalities.

My pea puffers are housed with shrimp and snails. They don't go after the adult shrimps but they definitely go after the shrimplets. I wouldn't move them into my community tank unless it was my last option, they tried to take a chunk out of my knuckle when I was moving some plants in their tank.

I call them Murder beans xD

They would probably nip the dwarf gouramis' and guppies' tails. You would need to hand feed them as well, as the other fish would probably just eat all of their food. They really don't do well in community tanks whatsoever, so I would suggest if you wanted them getting a species only tank. If you want details on the tank, I can give you a long long explanation xD

I've tried housing pea puffers with other fish and they will kill them. I had what is called an imposter pea puffer and I moved him from a 15 gallon tank where he was killing other tank inhabitants to 120 gallon tank where he started killing tetras, so no matter the size of the tank these little guys are killers. Which is why it's recommended that as the puffer becomes an adult you keep them individually in a tank. The pea puffer would coexist with amano shrimp just because the shrimp were bigger he didn't feel they were a threat but that might depend on the pea puffer.
Ok, do you have any recommendations for a centerpiece fish that would work with my current stock? I have neons, guppies, a nerite and will be getting dwarf gouramis eventually.

Ok, do you have any recommendations for a centerpiece fish that would work with my current stock? I have neons, guppies, a nerite and will be getting dwarf gouramis eventually.
Dwarf gouramis will be the centerpiece ;)

My LPS sells baby pea puffers that live in the same tank as the endlers. Originally I wanted a pair of Albino Rachovii Killifish, but they ended up being too aggressive and sensitive, and attacked one of my guppies before dying. To be honest, the LPS Killifish don’t look very healthy. On the shipment days they look ok, but after a few days they droop and lose color. I have a black worm colony and would love to have a fish that primarily eats live food, but I have other fish in my tank to think about.

I tried using Aqua Advisors calculator, but it told me they were too aggressive for any of my stock. However, when googling tank mates, Google said the opposite, and that all of my species would work fine.

Would a Pea Puffer work with neon tetras, male guppies, nerite snails and dwarf gouramis? The pea puffers at the store are tiny right now. If they are too aggressive, what other species do you suggest?
Hello Kyanite. Do a little research first. Tetras would be good tank mates. Plecos, Loaches and Corydoras too.

10 tanks

You might want to rethink the dwarf gourami. Because of inbreeding on fish farms, they are lousy with Iridovirus. Iridovirus is 100% fatal and has no cure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridovirus_dwarf_gourami_disease
If you still want to get them, see if you can find a good local breeder.

Last edited:
I was going to make the Iridovirus point, good idea :)
I mean, they are a beautiful fish that makes a great looking centerpiece. But I rethought my own plans to get one when I learned about Iridovirus. One of the great things about this hobby is that when one plan doesn't work out, there are always alternatives. So I got a honey gourami instead.

Last edited:
Before anyone recommends anything, it would help to know your water parameters. Especially the water hardness. If you don't know it, you can find it online. Either on your water company website or you can look it up by zip code.

I mean, they are a beautiful fish that makes a great looking centerpiece. But I rethought my own plans to get one when I learned about Iridovirus. One of the great things about this hobby is that when one plan doesn't work out, there are always alternatives. So I got a honey gourami instead.
Yep Honey gourami are lovely! I like croaking gourami and sparkling gourami as well. I own both 😊

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back