What breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Josiebatch

Reaction score
Hi. I have recently inherited a fish tank along with 4 fishy inhabitants... Can anyone tell me what breed this is please?... a ram maybe?? he is bullying 2 of the other fish who I know are Molly’s... wondering if he would be better off alone...??
390BB673-32DE-4B6C-9F8F-3906E370F87F.jpeg

Hi. I have recently inherited a fish tank along with 4 fishy inhabitants... Can anyone tell me what breed this is please?... a ram maybe?? he is bullying 2 of the other fish who I know are Molly’s... wondering if he would be better off alone...?? View attachment 130800
Hi welcome to the forums! :) That fish is a certain african peacock cichlid, possibly a hybrid but looks like Aulonocara (unsure which morph) I would recomend keeping Aulonocara with other peacocks and haps due to their aggressive nature and need for high PH which you can find out by testing water :)

Hi welcome to the forums! :) That fish is a certain african peacock cichlid, possibly a hybrid but looks like Aulonocara (unsure which morph) I would recomend keeping Aulonocara with other peacocks and haps due to their aggressive nature and need for high PH which you can find out by testing water :)
Thank you!! That’s very helpful... I’m new to keeping fish and had no idea it would be so stressful trying to keep a harmonious tank ?

Thank you!! That’s very helpful... I’m new to keeping fish and had no idea it would be so stressful trying to keep a harmonious tank ?
Absolutely no worries at all! It is indeed and we all start somewhere :) I'm even in the same boat as you at the minute with an aggressive firemouth cichlid in my cichlid tank... If you need help with anything please dont be afraid to ask it is what we are here for and I hope you can find peace with sorting that peacock out (He is very beautiful) if you want I can help you try and sort out a new tank for him? With recommendations for substrate, tank size etc?

Aulonocara species (marble or orange blotch variety). It's a boy :)

They do well with other big fish but might eat small mollies.

They come from Lake Malawi in Africa's Rift Valley and are referred to as Rift Lake cichlids. The require a pH above 7.6 and a GH above 300ppm. Mollies also enjoy this type of water but as mentioned, might become food for him.

Absolutely no worries at all! It is indeed and we all start somewhere :) I'm even in the same boat as you at the minute with an aggressive firemouth cichlid in my cichlid tank... If you need help with anything please dont be afraid to ask it is what we are here for and I hope you can find peace with sorting that peacock out (He is very beautiful) if you want I can help you try and sort out a new tank for him? With recommendations for substrate, tank size etc?
Thank you so much. That’s so helpful and really kind. Ok.. so I think we’ve established that he’s a Aulonocara. I also think I have 1 large mollie (the black one), 1 small white mollie whom I only introduced yesterday on advice from the pet store who said he may even out the tank. The other grey/brown one I’m unsure of - he looks similar to the Aulonocara?? - he is the one most bullied ? he hides at the bottom and is rarely seen, he’s chased incessantly by the aulonocara. I’m thinking I need to go out today and purchase a small tank and remove him.. my anxiety is through the roof which is ridiculous I know but I’m now scared for the small mollie as well. What do you think?
7DC9B3BC-5417-48BC-AEEC-D6DD45FDD4CC.jpeg

Aulonocara species (marble or orange blotch variety). It's a boy :)

They do well with other big fish but might eat small mollies.

They come from Lake Malawi in Africa's Rift Valley and are referred to as Rift Lake cichlids. The require a pH above 7.6 and a GH above 300ppm. Mollies also enjoy this type of water but as mentioned, might become food for him.
Thank you so much for the info! ? that’s really helpful.

Thank you so much. That’s so helpful and really kind. Ok.. so I think we’ve established that he’s a Aulonocara. I also think I have 1 large mollie (the black one), 1 small white mollie whom I only introduced yesterday on advice from the pet store who said he may even out the tank. The other grey/brown one I’m unsure of - he looks similar to the Aulonocara?? - he is the one most bullied ? he hides at the bottom and is rarely seen, he’s chased incessantly by the aulonocara. I’m thinking I need to go out today and purchase a small tank and remove him.. my anxiety is through the roof which is ridiculous I know but I’m now scared for the small mollie as well. What do you think?
It’s okay! So You’re best bet is probably to remove the two peacocks (aulonocara) all together, they might both be males and two cichlid males in one tank will always fight (it’s actually rare for them not too) anyways the best bet is trying to establish a new tank specifically for peacocks and with these african cichlids you usually just keep them with other african cichlids due to the aggression.. In you’re case I would try and get a 40gallon for now (55 would be best but it’s not exactly cheap and easily picked up either) and I would put a sandy substrate with lots of rocks. Unfortunately you will have to wait around 6 weeks for the tank to cycle (you can make this two with tetra safe start) and in the tank you would also need a filter (probably a hang on the back as a start, you can find really cheap ones on amazon and they are really efficient but you will probably have to buy a larger one as the fish grow) next thing is either crushed corals to put underneath the sand ( usually this is put in the filter but to make life easier underneath the sand will do) the reason for this is to heighten the ph for the cichlids, then the best bet is adding more aulonocara which will be labelled as peacock cichlids, ratio wise 1 male to every four females of each species of aulonocara to absolutely kill any aggression so if you have two males or if you have a male and a female the four more females will essentially stop most of the aggression that you’re seeing. This is called planned overstocking and we do this to essentially stop aggression with malawi cichlids, luckily you have arguably the most peaceful malawi cichlids! So fingers crossed they all get on well and I am so sorry for the really long paragraph haha :) I hope this helps!

It’s okay! So You’re best bet is probably to remove the two peacocks (aulonocara) all together, they might both be males and two cichlid males in one tank will always fight (it’s actually rare for them not too) anyways the best bet is trying to establish a new tank specifically for peacocks and with these african cichlids you usually just keep them with other african cichlids due to the aggression.. In you’re case I would try and get a 40gallon for now (55 would be best but it’s not exactly cheap and easily picked up either) and I would put a sandy substrate with lots of rocks. Unfortunately you will have to wait around 6 weeks for the tank to cycle (you can make this two with tetra safe start) and in the tank you would also need a filter (probably a hang on the back as a start, you can find really cheap ones on amazon and they are really efficient but you will probably have to buy a larger one as the fish grow) next thing is either crushed corals to put underneath the sand ( usually this is put in the filter but to make life easier underneath the sand will do) the reason for this is to heighten the ph for the cichlids, then the best bet is adding more aulonocara which will be labelled as peacock cichlids, ratio wise 1 male to every four females of each species of aulonocara to absolutely kill any aggression so if you have two males or if you have a male and a female the four more females will essentially stop most of the aggression that you’re seeing. This is called planned overstocking and we do this to essentially stop aggression with malawi cichlids, luckily you have arguably the most peaceful malawi cichlids! So fingers crossed they all get on well and I am so sorry for the really long paragraph haha :) I hope this helps!
Oh wow!! That’s so much information haha!! Thank you! Excuse the pun but I really do feel like a fish out of water!.. I definitely wasn’t prepared for this. For reference the tank i inherited is a classic 30L Biorb. Being a novice I don’t particularly want any more fish at this time and barely have enough room for another tank as it is, would bully boy be content on his own without the other aulonocara (if that’s what he is). Am I being overly sensitive or should I just let nature run it’s course, accept that they fight, remove both together and hope that the bullied one stands it’s ground. I just want happiness and harmony in the simplest way possible ?.

Oh wow!! That’s so much information haha!! Thank you! Excuse the pun but I really do feel like a fish out of water!.. I definitely wasn’t prepared for this. For reference the tank i inherited is a classic 30L Biorb. Being a novice I don’t particularly want any more fish at this time and barely have enough room for another tank as it is, would bully boy be content on his own without the other aulonocara (if that’s what he is). Am I being overly sensitive or should I just let nature run it’s course, accept that they fight, remove both together and hope that the bullied one stands it’s ground. I just want happiness and harmony in the simplest way possible ?.
Haha I am so sorry for the long story I wrote. I understand how you feel I was the same when I started and nothing made sense to me so I unfortunately learned a lot of things the hard way :(, You could definitely pull off putting him on his own but I would just be concerned about him stressing on his own.. Unfortunately cichlids are very emotional fish and do stress quite easily which makes them unpredictable. Don’t worry at all you’re not being overly sensitive you’re just being a kind person and a good fish keeper :) in you’re case to stop the bully you’d probably have to move him out. But the other cichlid? well if it’s a male then you might end up with a new bully who then attacks the mollies, it’s very trial and error really so it’s probably best to try moving the bully fish out and then seeing how the others react without him. Always remember to cycle the new tank and I’m sure we can all help with that aswell!

Haha I am so sorry for the long story I wrote. I understand how you feel I was the same when I started and nothing made sense to me so I unfortunately learned a lot of things the hard way :(, You could definitely pull off putting him on his own but I would just be concerned about him stressing on his own.. Unfortunately cichlids are very emotional fish and do stress quite easily which makes them unpredictable. Don’t worry at all you’re not being overly sensitive you’re just being a kind person and a good fish keeper :) in you’re case to stop the bully you’d probably have to move him out. But the other cichlid? well if it’s a male then you might end up with a new bully who then attacks the mollies, it’s very trial and error really so it’s probably best to try moving the bully fish out and then seeing how the others react without him. Always remember to cycle the new tank and I’m sure we can all help with that aswell!
Haha.. No!.. it’s great information, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the reassurance. By the way I just read through the cycling process on here and now feel I need a PHD in fish keeping before I even attempt another water change let alone a full tank construct ??. My mind is blown, who knew!? I have a water testing kit which is now my main focus after reading the cycling info.. so I’m going to start there with the current tank before I even attempt anything else. Once again thanks so much for all the great info! Hopefully I can follow through with your advice ☺️ Have a great Sunday!! I’m off to blow my own mind with this testing kit ?

The grey fish is another peacock cichlid (Aulonocara sp). It could be a female but might be a young male that is trying to colour up. Females are normally grey all over and that fish has a small amount of colour on its side, which would suggest a young male. However, some females are appearing with a small amount of colour.

Normally males have egg spots (yellow dots) on the anal (bottom) fin but neither of your fish have them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back