What are you doing today?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Month end time sheet approvals, about the most boring work I do now. TFF is a distraction today.

What'd they do!? Tell uuuuuusssss!
Well, OK. I make all my kids sing short solos in class occasionally, partly because it's the only way I can give them a fair grade for singing, and partly because I want them to get over their nervousness so that their spring concert is actually fun for them. As you can imagine, this is fun for some kids and very difficult for others. (It's completely terrifying for most adults, but that's a different story) But I have them all do it.

So, on Tuesday we did a practice for our first "singing quiz" of the year. One fourth grade girl, let's call her Brianna, refused to sing when it was her turn. She was very upset afterward, actually crying, so I took her aside after class and asked her what was wrong. She told me that she was so scared to sing in front of people that it made her cry. I told her some tips about finding her courage, positive self-talk, don't-think-just-do, no one is going to laugh at you (I work on that a LOT with the kids), that sort of thing, and told her that if all else failed she could come in after class and sing just for me. She was still pretty shook up when she left.

Fast forward to today. We sang a warm-up song, went over what we were doing, and started our singing test. It was a fun song, and everybody was having a pretty good time, but I was keeping an eye on Brianna. She seemed OK. When it was her turn, she took a big, deep breath and not only sang, but absolutely nailed it. She did her solo and I moved on to the next person, but she looked kind of stunned, as if she was thinking, "whoa, did I really just do that???" When we finished, I went around and gave everybody some quick, individual feedback. When I got to Brianna, the whole class spontaneously burst into applause.

I love seeing people show courage like that. It was pretty awesome. :)

Well, OK. I make all my kids sing short solos in class occasionally, partly because it's the only way I can give them a fair grade for singing, and partly because I want them to get over their nervousness so that their spring concert is actually fun for them. As you can imagine, this is fun for some kids and very difficult for others. (It's completely terrifying for most adults, but that's a different story) But I have them all do it.

So, on Tuesday we did a practice for our first "singing quiz" of the year. One fourth grade girl, let's call her Brianna, refused to sing when it was her turn. She was very upset afterward, actually crying, so I took her aside after class and asked her what was wrong. She told me that she was so scared to sing in front of people that it made her cry. I told her some tips about finding her courage, positive self-talk, don't-think-just-do, no one is going to laugh at you (I work on that a LOT with the kids), that sort of thing, and told her that if all else failed she could come in after class and sing just for me. She was still pretty shook up when she left.

Fast forward to today. We sang a warm-up song, went over what we were doing, and started our singing test. It was a fun song, and everybody was having a pretty good time, but I was keeping an eye on Brianna. She seemed OK. When it was her turn, she took a big, deep breath and not only sang, but absolutely nailed it. She did her solo and I moved on to the next person, but she looked kind of stunned, as if she was thinking, "whoa, did I really just do that???" When we finished, I went around and gave everybody some quick, individual feedback. When I got to Brianna, the whole class burst into applause.

I love seeing people show courage like that. It was pretty awesome. :)
That's amazing!
You seem like an incredible teacher. Way better than any teacher I've had 🙄
There must be a lot of proud people right now... You, her parents, and definitely her

I just got to call a mom and tell her that her kid did something absolutely awesome in music class today. :cool:
Ahhh, I uses to do music way back when. Actually made money playing in a rock/blues/jazz band in 1974. Still my favorite stuff was symphonic like in classical type concert stuff that involved intricate sticking and patterns... I played drums. While I could do drum sets I preferred intricate snare drum work

While of course not me here is a video of a snare drum solo I did as a senior in high school in state competition. I received the highest rating awarded. Keep in mind that it was not a case of 1st, 2nd place but ratings I got the highest rating of 1. In the entire competition there were only 6 1 ratings awarded.

Not me doing but this was the solo.

Just saw this video... WOW. Never do this... Unless you have multiple scientific degrees and you know what you're doing. No need to get injured...
(Hopefully it's the right vid)

reminds me of the drum solo in the long version of Get Ready by Rare Earth

I just bought an assassin snail but I think it’s dead :( left him in the bag with the tank light off… if he still looks like that in a couple of hours I’ll know

Attachments

• 18B94A17-83E1-4F84-9B36-3ADCBB788511.jpeg
    18B94A17-83E1-4F84-9B36-3ADCBB788511.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6F1E2770-DFE9-43EB-9C74-C49EE9B7F0F2.jpeg
    6F1E2770-DFE9-43EB-9C74-C49EE9B7F0F2.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 13

Most reactions

trending

Back