What are you doing today?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Today we went to a free public dog park and got to see something very rare!
A cicada that was alive and hatching!!
20220903_152525.jpg
20220903_154619.jpg
20220903_152732.jpg

Then we went fishing and I caught this cute little guy! (Almost caught a second!)
20220903_185441.jpg

Then to finish the day, a beautiful sunset over the lake...
20220903_191545.jpg

Attachments

• 20220903_152001.jpg
    20220903_152001.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 9
I basically got freaked out today!

I have a Tiger Lotus bulb that was sprouting while just sitting on top of the substrate. My new PITA Rope fish -- they ARE a PITA but I love them -- decided that it liked playing soccer and was bouncing the bulb around pulling the sprouted roots out of the substrate. When I noticed this the bulb was a third of the way across the tank. Solution, of course, is to partially bury the bulb.

So my hand is in the tank working with the bulb and I feel something on my hand. A Panda Garra decided to see if I was tasty and attached to my hand. Sadly, even though my camera was within reach, the memory card was not inserted. I will have to try to duplicate and get a photo.

Bottom line is that it was a good 'fish day' as my beasties would not be acting like this if unhappy or stressed.

I DID get this photo that I thought cute. The Rope Fish, Clyde, is being sly and spying over a Java Fern leaf. :)
IMG_2458.JPG

I went elk hunting today, complete with my boot cast (because my foot decided that hunting with a longbow was not quite challenging enough). Unfortunately the guest of honor failed to arrive at the party. I did scare the daylights out of a mulie doe (intentionally--I didn't have a deer tag and it's a bucks-only area anyway). She came sauntering along the trail I was sitting next to (because I sure as heck am not sneaking up on anything in this cast). She spotted me about 30 yards out, but didn't know what I was, and kept moving closer, nose going like crazy. I waited until she was about 20 yards away, then waved my arms at her. She let out a snort and ran away. I could still hear her snorting clear up on top of the next ridge over. :lol:

It is crazy hot around here, and the elk aren't moving around much. If I were of sound body, I'd be sneaking around their bedding areas trying to pick off an outlier. But elk do not bed in convenient areas for crippled guys, so that technique is out. Hunting should be better after it cools off and the rut really gets going in the next week or two. Right now we're mostly just getting a feel for a new hunting area.

So to recap:
Elk 1
Badger 0

WhistlingBadger and a friend were chasing elk around on the mountain today, so Mom and I slept in, super organized a part of the house while we were motivated, then watched TV, which promptly killed the motivation and the rest of the day was a lazy day.
Best dinner ever, though. Bison burgers, homemade french fries, home-grown raspberries and a frozen lemon meringue pie for dessert. Overall, a great day.

WhistlingBadger and a friend were chasing elk around on the mountain today, so Mom and I slept in, super organized a part of the house while we were motivated, then watched TV, which promptly killed the motivation and the rest of the day was a lazy day.
Best dinner ever, though. Bison burgers, homemade french fries, home-grown raspberries and a frozen lemon meringue pie for dessert. Overall, a great day.
Sounds delicious!!

I basically got freaked out today!

I have a Tiger Lotus bulb that was sprouting while just sitting on top of the substrate. My new PITA Rope fish -- they ARE a PITA but I love them -- decided that it liked playing soccer and was bouncing the bulb around pulling the sprouted roots out of the substrate. When I noticed this the bulb was a third of the way across the tank. Solution, of course, is to partially bury the bulb.

So my hand is in the tank working with the bulb and I feel something on my hand. A Panda Garra decided to see if I was tasty and attached to my hand. Sadly, even though my camera was within reach, the memory card was not inserted. I will have to try to duplicate and get a photo.

Bottom line is that it was a good 'fish day' as my beasties would not be acting like this if unhappy or stressed.

I DID get this photo that I thought cute. The Rope Fish, Clyde, is being sly and spying over a Java Fern leaf. :)
View attachment 166111
Should have named him Kilroy!
k2h4sjy72oh71.jpg

Just gone 4.30 in the morning....fish are under their "time to get out of bed" lighting....I can hear them whinging from here....fasting and water changing day for them which will begin once I have had my first mug of freshly brewed coffee :)

Then after dealing with the hooligans it will be breakfast....should be one of those meal replacement bar things but sadly they are just too scrumptious and the entire box got scoffed in one meal...never mind 😇

Once breakfast is consumed it will be silicone sealing the water dam on the wetroom floor, clean the kitchen ready for the new microwave and air fryer coming this week (old microwave is slowly but surely curling up its microchips and burning my chips), then hopefully it will be feet up for the rest of the day....in theory at least.

We have more mosquitoes than I have ever seen before. Hey Colin, I think I understand more. I had to put bug spray on, which I hate doing. The saltwater mosquitoes here are smaller than I'm used to, but they are ferocious and quick. So we spent a lot of time indoors.
Now, crickets.
I am looking online for a bug zapper to go in my unit. Yes you read that correctly. I am going to have a bug zapper (normally used outdoors), but I am putting it in my kitchen and maybe another by the front door. And the unit isn't that big, so having 2 bug zappers might seem like overkill, but I don't think it will be.

OMG these fuplie insects and driving me insane. :crazy:

I LOVE venison chili and would like to try Bison Chili. I don't hunt so I'm sure that grocery store bison would not really be the same but one of these days... Also bison is not cheap in a store...

I am looking online for a bug zapper to go in my unit. Yes you read that correctly. I am going to have a bug zapper (normally used outdoors), but I am putting it in my kitchen and maybe another by the front door. And the unit isn't that big, so having 2 bug zappers might seem like overkill, but I don't think it will be.

OMG these fuplie insects and driving me insane. :crazy:
the sound of that bug zapper will keep you awake at night.
And the smell of those burning insect corpses won't be pleasant. :fartonyou:

the sound of that bug zapper will keep you awake at night.
And the smell of those burning insect corpses won't be pleasant. :fartonyou:
I get kept up day and night by bugs eating me so a bug zapper popping every few seconds will be a nice respite. Also I have earplugs, sound the music dum dum dahhhh.

The burnt bugs can't be any worse than the smell from the methylated spirits (alcohol bug spray) I use, or the swampy odour coming from the dead damp bugs squashed all over the floor.

It would be nice not to have to wipe the bed down before I try to go to bed, and not having to wash everything before I use it. I washed a bowl this morning and half an hour later it had bugs in it. I wiped the computer and keyboard down and sat down only to find more bugs on it. This is a plague from the big guy upstairs because we're having a fight.

I get kept up day and night by bugs eating me so a bug zapper popping every few seconds will be a nice respite. Also I have earplugs, sound the music dum dum dahhhh.

The burnt bugs can't be any worse than the smell from the methylated spirits (alcohol bug spray) I use, or the swampy odour coming from the dead damp bugs squashed all over the floor.

It would be nice not to have to wipe the bed down before I try to go to bed, and not having to wash everything before I use it. I washed a bowl this morning and half an hour later it had bugs in it. I wiped the computer and keyboard down and sat down only to find more bugs on it. This is a plague from the big guy upstairs because we're having a fight.
If you are into DIY and cooking....

Hey, mostly kidding, but mahaps you could save the fried bugs for fish food... ;) Sigh, I remember my kids friends going out to catch crickets so they could watch my cichlids waste the things. LOL! Kids can be nasty critters. ;) But, hey, free fish food was free fish food. ;)

Are you leaving windows or doors open which would let in all those bugs in? .. wont fumigating the place with raid (leave your house for several hours after spraying) kill most of them.

I feel for you— cant be very pleasant

Most reactions

Back