What are you doing today?

She is too frightened @Naughts

She is a teenager with learning difficulties, the male has totally controlled her every move, he intimidates her, he threatens her, he has told her infront of me and others that she is lucky to have a bloke in her life....

As someone who has been in her situation, its not easy to just get up and leave, especially when controlled like that and cut off from friends and family by an abuser
Oh I see, I thought it was going to take a few days for the administration of getting her somewhere safe to stay, rather than a few days to persuade her. I understand her ambivalence, he has made her feel like there is nowhere/ no one to turn to and he is all she has 😥.
I hope she finds the strength to leave soon.

Early this morning while I was on the couch reading, I saw a mouse run out of the kitchen.
I scared it back in them me and my dad had to tear apart the kitchen trying to find it and get it outside.
After about and hour of searching we finally were able to get it outside.
Too late.... Already ate it all 🤣
This was a rather funny juxtaposition...

Early this morning while I was on the couch reading, I saw a mouse run out of the kitchen.
I scared it back in them me and my dad had to tear apart the kitchen trying to find it and get it outside.
After about and hour of searching we finally were able to get it outside.

Crossover from the cat thread but.....

This is where cats come in handy. When our older son and his wife found a mouse in the lounge and they couldn't get it out from behind a cupboard, they pulled the cupboard out a few inches from the wall then our son donned a thick wax jacket and a pair of gauntlets and went upstairs to collect a sleeping cat. He carried the hissing, spitting, scratching fur ball downstairs at arms length and dropped her behind the cupboard. In less time than it took to blink, the cat had caught the mouse and disappeared outside the kitchen door.

It was probably the cat which brought the mouse in though..................

This is where cats come in handy. When our older son and his wife found a mouse in the lounge and they couldn't get it out from behind a cupboard, they pulled the cupboard out a few inches from the wall then our son donned a thick wax jacket and a pair of gauntlets and went upstairs to collect a sleeping cat. He carried the hissing, spitting, scratching fur ball downstairs at arms length and dropped her behind the cupboard. In less time than it took to blink, the cat had caught the mouse and disappeared outside the kitchen door.

It was probably the cat which brought the mouse in though..................
About time those critters start earning their keep! :lol:

On a serious note, though, sometimes we forget that most domestic animals were domesticated not for companionship, but for some practical reason. Furthermore, those animals are generally "happiest" (I know, anthropomorphic term, but hopefully you know what I mean) when they're working. Cats want to hunt; retrievers want to chase down ducks; huskies want to pull; horses want to run.

Perhaps cows don't want to be eaten, though? Every theory has its flaw.

Dogs will hunt mice and rats too. My dogs would go outside each night and we would hunt the rats that were stealing my fruit and veg. The rats came from next door's illegal chop shop.

I taught a mini poodle how to hunt mice at the pet shop. She had it down pat in 30 minutes. We had wild mice in the shop and they would eat the bird seed out the back. Each week we were meant to go through and clean up any seed but most of the time it wasn't done.

One day I was there and the dog groomer had brought her mini poodle in. The dog had never hunted before in its life and was a couch dog. I called the dog over and moved bags of seed. Mice went everywhere and the dog jumped back and was nervous and almost scared. I called the dog back over and said "what's that"? The dog's ears perked up and then more mice ran around. She backed off a bit so I called her back and pointed and said "what's that"? A couple more bags got moved and each time I said "get it, get it, go on". Half an hour later and the dog was waiting with anticipation every time I moved a bag of seed and she jumped on every mouse she saw. We got about 30 adult mice and dozens of pinkies (babies without hair) that day.

A couple of days later the groomer was back with her dog. The groomer lives on a farm property with horses and there are lots of mice and rats there. During the days that followed my training session, the dog had killed and brought over a dozen mice and 2 rats back to the house. The owner was pleased with the dead rodents but didn't like waking up to them on the floor by her feet. :)

Ew, I got all excited over cats and hunting mice I forgot what this thread was about.

The real estate agent came around this morning at 8:43am. I let her in and stood in the corner of the room watching her take pictures. She wandered out the back (all 10ft square of it) and took photos. She came back in and left. She will probably chuck a wobbly at me for the weeds in the back but most of them were here when I moved in. And if she doesn't like it, tough. She can check the property condition report she never gave me, which is against the law. She also parked in the no parking area on the access driveway to the units.

I am keeping records of this to add to my case against her. I'm pretty sure the real estate agents are meant to be here after 9am unless you specify otherwise. Plus she parked in a no parking zone. And she didn't give me the required 7-14 days notice before turning up.

She's a really bad real estate agent and it's fun keeping her on her toes. :)

Apart from that I walked up and down the driveway for an hour to let the house air out after she left. She wears a pretty strong perfume that lingers in the air for a while. Then I came inside and cleaned and killed the bugs that are in here. Finally had breakfast at 11:45am and am now sitting down exhausted. That's my excitement for the week, plus my exercise for the day. :)

Dogs will hunt mice and rats too. My dogs would go outside each night and we would hunt the rats that were stealing my fruit and veg. The rats came from next door's illegal chop shop.

I taught a mini poodle how to hunt mice at the pet shop. She had it down pat in 30 minutes. We had wild mice in the shop and they would eat the bird seed out the back. Each week we were meant to go through and clean up any seed but most of the time it wasn't done.

One day I was there and the dog groomer had brought her mini poodle in. The dog had never hunted before in its life and was a couch dog. I called the dog over and moved bags of seed. Mice went everywhere and the dog jumped back and was nervous and almost scared. I called the dog back over and said "what's that"? The dog's ears perked up and then more mice ran around. She backed off a bit so I called her back and pointed and said "what's that"? A couple more bags got moved and each time I said "get it, get it, go on". Half an hour later and the dog was waiting with anticipation every time I moved a bag of seed and she jumped on every mouse she saw. We got about 30 adult mice and dozens of pinkies (babies without hair) that day.

A couple of days later the groomer was back with her dog. The groomer lives on a farm property with horses and there are lots of mice and rats there. During the days that followed my training session, the dog had killed and brought over a dozen mice and 2 rats back to the house. The owner was pleased with the dead rodents but didn't like waking up to them on the floor by her feet. :)
I had a gerbil once, named Bernard. He was gentle and funny and kind of a little nerd. One day one of my friends caught a huge, 4" long grasshopper. Being preteen boys, we decided it would be fun to toss it in Bernardo's cage to see what he'd do. The moment that grasshopper hit the floor, Bernard was out of his little nest, nose twitching like mad. His eyes locked in on that locust and he covered his entire cage in a single leap, landed on the back of the grasshopper (which was longer than him), bit down at the back of its head, instantly killing it, then proceeded to devour every scrap of it except the wings and legs.

I had no idea gerbils were predatory, let along that little Bernard had that in him. But he had our respect from then on. :lol: And grasshopper massacre became a daily ritual.

Today , I am waiting for Cliff Claven to bring me a very special package. Tracking info says to look for it today but I think tomorrow is more likely considering where it is. Three pairs of Aphyosemion australe Orange Red coming from Athens New York. The weather cooled off very nicely to accommodate them. 70 degrees here right now. I am as giddy as a little school boy .

What are you doing today?​

I've been watering the backyard for it's been so hot today again. Holland and other parts of Western Europe are dealing with real droughts with the heat wave that's been going on. A lot of plants look so dry no matter how much and how often I water them. Most on the back growing grapes (where the sun hits them) are turning brown while the ones on the shade side are looking great. But enough grapes left to harvest this coming September/October.
But also my red chili peppers are doing great in the shade. Just had to keep en eye on those outdoor tubs that are less shady. For those water temperatures can increase drastically. Most are fortunately located in the shade and half shade. In general, in the eastern and southern part of our country are a lot warmer than in other parts of the country. So, during a heat wave, it's not always that funny to be here. I do hope we'll have a nice indian summer with nice temperatures. So, I can leave those fish outdoors a bit longer outside.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back