What are these and what can I do with them?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sparkypenguin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently acquired some bits n bobs and amongst these were some Alder cones, some Bonsai shrimp baby food and some unlabelled largish leaves (Photo attached).
I hate to throw anything out so I was wondering if I should use these in my tank.
My tank is a 330Lish community set up and has bog wood, some plants and a sand substrate.
I have Black Phantom Tetras, Dalmatian Mollys, Wag Tail Platys, Neon Tetras, Apple Snails, Bristlenose Plecs, Panda Corys.
My water PH is around 7.5 and hardness around 15 gDH.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Kind regards,
Mark.

Attachments

• Unlabelled Leaves.jpg
    Unlabelled Leaves.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 22
The shape tells me it's almond leaf.
Using almond leaves will soften the water and it works great against fungus.

Definitely Catappa (almond leaves). Alder cones will stain the water and help to lower the pH and soften the water. I use both as well as Rooibos tea in my altum angel tank. The almond leaves will stain the water and, hopefully soften it a bit and lower the pH a bit.

You said you have mollies and platys, so those leaves and alder cones would be harmful to them. The softwater species you have would love them, but not the hardwater ones.

You said you have mollies and platys, so those leaves and alder cones would be harmful to them. The softwater species you have would love them, but not the hardwater ones.
My tank is approx. 330L and 15gDH so would putting a couple in really make that much difference to the hardness?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back