What Are The Pitfalls And Perils

rival

New Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have the opportunity to have a 7ft x 2ft x 2ft. Are big tanks easier to keep than small ones?

Ta
 
In some ways, yes. With more water, you have more room for error. With smaller tanks, things like ammonia are concentrated more, and in larger tanks, where there is a larger amount of water, things aren't so concentrated.
 
thanks pal for the opinion. I have to put a deposit on it before 8pm tonight to secure the tank. In real dilemma. I have the space but not the guts if you know what I mean.
 
Water chemistry is more stable, as mentioned, but there are some downsides. There's a lot to clean, and you might not be able to reach the bottom from the floor, so you need a small stool or stepladder to reach down inside. Also, you'll want to invest in a python or something like it to do your water changes if you don't have one, since hauling buckets for a water change on that beast will be backbreaking.

Depending on what you put in it, too. If you decide to go with a general community of small fish, you'll never be able to keep track of them all. I go days without being able to account for a platy or a bristlenose in my 4 foot tank.

I say go get it. There's not many fish that wouldn't be a stocking option in that size tank, and the downsides aren't really that bad, you can adjust your maintenance routine to make it easier - vacuum a third or half of the gravel with each water change, and do a different segment of the tank with the next one.
 
didn't think about the water changes. What is a python?
 
One of the downfalls is the proper equipment costs more b/c you need the equipment that can handle a bigger tank. ie. better filtration, bigger heaters, larger lights, etc.

But you also get to have all the cool fish that can go in to a tank of that size :fun:

Do you know about a fishless cycle? Just asking b/c it doesn't hurt to ask. More room for error is correct but don't think for a minute that you can throw fish into an uncycled tank and it won't be bad for them b/c there's more water volume to dilute it. It will still be bad.

:) Congrats on the tank :hyper:
 
One of the downfalls is the proper equipment costs more b/c you need the equipment that can handle a bigger tank. ie. better filtration, bigger heaters, larger lights, etc.

But you also get to have all the cool fish that can go in to a tank of that size :fun:

Do you know about a fishless cycle? Just asking b/c it doesn't hurt to ask. More room for error is correct but don't think for a minute that you can throw fish into an uncycled tank and it won't be bad for them b/c there's more water volume to dilute it. It will still be bad.

:) Congrats on the tank :hyper:

yeah I do know about fishless cycle. So you would say go for it yes?
 
didn't think about the water changes. What is a python?

It's like a regular gravel vac, but it goes all the way to the sink. When you're done, go to the sink, flip a valve and turn on the faucet and it also refills the tank (Different people have different advice about dechlorinating in this case, since you are adding directly from the tap. Many people do this without a problem, though, so it is safe).
 
didn't think about the water changes. What is a python?

It's like a regular gravel vac, but it goes all the way to the sink. When you're done, go to the sink, flip a valve and turn on the faucet and it also refills the tank (Different people have different advice about dechlorinating in this case, since you are adding directly from the tap. Many people do this without a problem, though, so it is safe).

thanks for the explaination. Do you by any chance have a weblink so I could by one please?
 
One of the downfalls is the proper equipment costs more b/c you need the equipment that can handle a bigger tank. ie. better filtration, bigger heaters, larger lights, etc.

But you also get to have all the cool fish that can go in to a tank of that size :fun:

Do you know about a fishless cycle? Just asking b/c it doesn't hurt to ask. More room for error is correct but don't think for a minute that you can throw fish into an uncycled tank and it won't be bad for them b/c there's more water volume to dilute it. It will still be bad.

:) Congrats on the tank :hyper:

yeah I do know about fishless cycle. So you would say go for it yes?
Full steam ahead, mate.....It's a very rewarding experience. I have a 125 gallon and just bought a 120 gallon :good:
 
I have always advised everyone to go for as big as you can afford or has the space for..... Imagine trying to landscape a small tank (for instance) One plant and one little rock and yer done....Now with a big tank, - the sky's the limit... water changes less often..... Slight increased electricity account but worth the effort... Variety of fish that can be kept increased... Yes Mate!!! put down yer deposit... you'll be the envy of the block.
 
thanks for the link. Great!..... Okay, I have just sent my mate around who can drive with the £200 deposit...... Game on! sorry to appear a whoos but I'm scared!

I love Vieja synspila. what do you think as a stocking option?
 
thanks for the link. Great!..... Okay, I have just sent my mate around who can drive with the £200 deposit...... Game on! sorry to appear a whoos but I'm scared!

I love Vieja synspila. what do you think as a stocking option?

Does she know that??
 
I would think so. Your tank should be on the order of 200 gallons. Having a big cichlid in the tank would limit compatible options a bit. I can't help you on that part, all I know about them is that they're a Central American cichlid.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top