We're changing up the Tank of the Month contest....read all about it.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Recent TOTM contests have received a lot of interest and more participants. But those with smaller tanks have to compete with those with larger tanks that have more plants and fish. So for the next 3 months, I thought we would try something a bit different to "level the playing field." On March 1st 2020, we will feature only smaller Nano tanks...those with a size of 16 gallons (60.6 liters) OR LESS. If this works out well, then for the April 2020 TOTM, we will feature larger nano tanks....17 gallons (64 liters) to 30 gallons (114 liters). Then in May we will feature aquariums 31 gallons and larger.

So if you have a tank sized at 16 gallons or less, be ready to enter your tank in our March 2020 TOTM contest!

Please note...if you won a previous TOTM contest, you have to skip two TOTM contest before you can enter a different tank. You cannot enter the same tank that won TOTM previously.

If the above trials work out, we may continue doing this for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool switch up! Excited!

You can re-enter the same tank if you lose before right?

yeh...it's like a muscle car show contest...it's not fair to pit a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 against a 1984 Ferrari Testarosa...they're not in the same class. But to pit a the 1969 Mustang against a 1969 Pontiac Firebird would be much more fair.

Last edited:
How about making it tanks that are 18 inches long or less, instead of gallons?
Not everyone in the world uses that antiquated measuring system of gallons.

And are you talking about US or UK gallons, because they have different volumes?

And what if they have a 40 gallon tank but only half fill it, it's got 20 gallons, therefore they can enter?

Your idea is good but I would simply do nano tanks (18 inches or less) one month and bigger tanks the next. Just alternate each month.

How about making it tanks that are 18 inches long or less, instead of gallons?
Not everyone in the world uses that antiquated measuring system of gallons.

And are you talking about US or UK gallons, because they have different volumes?

And what if they have a 40 gallon tank but only half fill it, it's got 20 gallons, therefore they can enter?

Your idea is good but I would simply do nano tanks (18 inches or less) one month and bigger tanks the next. Just alternate each month.
US gallons vs imperial gallons....Good Point....It would be US gallons...I would also post the litre size to prevent any misunderstanding. And it is defined as the overall aquarium capacity not the amount of water you fill it with....so filling a 30 gallon tank halfway does not qualify it as 15 gallon US tank.

I plan on having 3 classes {sizes) of tanks at first and see how it goes...should be interesting...maybe after that cut it down to 2 classes (sizes) or go back to any size tank depending how participation goes.

Last edited:
US gallons vs imperial gallons....Good Point....It would be US gallons...I would also post the litre size to prevent any misunderstanding. And it is defined as the overall aquarium capacity not the amount of water you fill it with....so filling a 30 gallon tank halfway does not qualify it as 15 gallon US tank.

I plan on having 3 classes {sizes) of tanks at first and see how it goes...should be interesting...maybe after that cut it down to 2 classes (sizes) or go back to any size tank depending how participation goes.
And how do you know if some people lying? I found some picture of fish thats look Exactly like the one they using, from old fish of the month.

we now require a written note held in front of the entry to show it is a recent photo and is in your household. If you notice any recent contests with questionable entries, let me know via a private message and provide any proof you have.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm new--how does one enter a photo in the contest? Will there be an entry thread posted?

yes...an entry thread will be posted...you will see a banner at the top of the forums when TOTM entry period starts on March 1st.

To post your photo, you must have it on your phone or computer and then use our "attach file" link in the reply area of your post. For TOTM, instead of a picture, you could post alink to youtube video of your tank.

Please note that a validation photo of your tank that has a written note held in front of the tank stating "March 2020 TFF TOTM" is required.

Last edited:
Very nice new rules, this sounds much more fair.

We'll see how it goes for March, April and May and then may go back to regular way or keep some or all of changes. Meanwhile, get your 60.6 litre (16 US gallons) or smaller tanks ready for the March contest!

We'll see how it goes for March, April and May and then may go back to regular way or keep some or all of changes. Meanwhile, get your 60.6 litre (16 US gallons) or smaller tanks ready for the March contest!
I don't think ill be bale to enter, my 10g is terrible right now. :(

My 29g on the other hand, is amazing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back