Welcome Spring!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You need to train your dog better. My Kelpie would grab them and bite the neck a couple of times and that was it. I would say drop and she would let it go and I gave her a pat and disposed of the rodent.

My Papillon would try the same thing but didn't have the jaw strength to do any damage and eventually she would get distracted and the big dog would grab whatever it was and kill it.

The Papillon was hilarious when it came to hunting. The Kelpie would spend half an hour stalking something. She would be crouched down like a cat and move one step, then stand still for a moment, then take another step. She would creep forward slowly until ready to pounce. The Papillon would see something and just charge in and quite often the Kelpie would be stalking it and she would look at the Papillon, shake her head and walk off. Meanwhile the Papillon would be racing around the park chasing whatever it was.

The Papillon managed to catch a dove/ pigeon. It was about half the size of the dog. The Papillon sat on this dove's back trying to bite its head off. The dog was chewing away on this bird's neck for about an hour. I eventually went out and asked if she was finished and she got up. I took the bird out the front and put it on the ground. The bird looked around, got up, shook itself off and flew away. All the feathers on its head and neck were covered in dog slobber but it had no damage to it. :)

My dog is well trained. He was originally trained to hunt small rodents. (Ground hogs, wood chucks, etc.) But I rescued him from a dump.

He just got it and bit into it, I couldn't have foreseen it. :(

Yes it is welcome spring at last, jobs are getting done here, hubby acid the slabs yesterday and jet blasted them, now decking :rolleyes:

I had a golden retriever when I was a kid, she had a great point and could find the birds but was very gun shy and would run behind me and sit. She once found a young bird and carried it to me without hurting it. She was very gentle where as my neighbor's golden retriever kills everything it catches

I had a golden retriever when I was a kid, she had a great point and could find the birds but was very gun shy and would run behind me and sit. She once found a young bird and carried it to me without hurting it. She was very gentle where as my neighbor's golden retriever kills everything it catches
Your dog sounds how my staffy was, although they carry a bad name with some they're gentle souls and he would find young ones on our back out the conifers and bless him here he is with me feeding one.

Attachments

• Bruno & me.JPG
    Bruno & me.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 69
My two labs will chase rabbits but I do not think they would know what to do if they ever caught one ;) My oldest one is 13 and has hard time seeing or hearing but his nose is at 100% The other one is 2 and is a big puppy. When deer come into the yard they just look at them and bark if they get to close. They also leave the wild turkey alone and only bark at them.

My two labs will chase rabbits but I do not think they would know what to do if they ever caught one ;) My oldest one is 13 and has hard time seeing or hearing but his nose is at 100% The other one is 2 and is a big puppy. When deer come into the yard they just look at them and bark if they get to close. They also leave the wild turkey alone and only bark at them.
As long as they know your command everything will be ok, sorry to hear about your eldest one but the young one must keep him/she on it's toes..bless

As long as they know your command everything will be ok, sorry to hear about your eldest one but the young one must keep him/she on it's toes..bless
The young one is now a little bigger than the old one and they still play fight over who is the Alpha dog. The old one wins but I think the young one lets him.
;)

The young one is now a little bigger than the old one and they still play fight over who is the Alpha dog. The old one wins but I think the young one lets him.
;)
Oh bless i bet you do have some laughs with them :wub: i miss my staffy but could never replace him. having an older dog knowing the routine of your home and how you've made his behaviour will also teach and correct your other as this does help in a large way besides we having to teach them :)

We had a rescue sheltie that we took in when he was 6, he was a pure blood and a little hyper. He would let my 4 year old son lay his head on him. Very gentle dog that followed my wife everywhere around the house and me when she was not around. He lived until he was almost 18 years old. The last several years he was blind so we had to leave the furniture in the same place. He got around very well. My wife still thinks of him as her dog ;)

We had a rescue sheltie that we took in when he was 6, he was a pure blood and a little hyper. He would let my 4 year old son lay his head on him. Very gentle dog that followed my wife everywhere around the house and me when she was not around. He lived until he was almost 18 years old. The last several years he was blind so we had to leave the furniture in the same place. He got around very well. My wife still thinks of him as her dog ;)
It's funny you on about shelties but we had one it was our first dog when we was kids and the lady my mom brought her off had puppies off her and he coat was mattered up badly, so my mom shaved her and her coat when it growed back was beautiful and thick and we called her Zoey, her uterus went in the end at 14yrs old and she was put to sleep through it but it broke my heart at the time.
They are such a devoted breed of dog and boarders are the same...bless your wife she must have adored him. :wub:

It's funny you on about shelties but we had one it was our first dog when we was kids and the lady my mom brought her off had puppies off her and he coat was mattered up badly, so my mom shaved her and her coat when it growed back was beautiful and thick and we called her Zoey, her uterus went in the end at 14yrs old and she was put to sleep through it but it broke my heart at the time.
They are such a devoted breed of dog and boarders are the same...bless your wife she must have adored him. :wub:
Oh yes, she did. We ended up having to put him down because he had stomach cancer but he was full of life right to the end. I took him to the Vet because she could not stand doing it and she cried when I got back. It hurt to seeing him looking back at me as they led him away even if he could not see me he seemed to know I was still there.

Did the vet not let you stay with him to the end? When our son's cat was put down just after Christmas he held the cat until he died; and when his ex partner's dog was put down, she held him until he died as well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back