Weird Ph levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I have been testing all of my levels and everything looks fine besides my ph. My ph is always 7.6 but my high ph range changes in colors somewhat. From what I tested, it has remained maybe around 7.6-7.8 when I tested them 2-3 weeks ago. A few days ago I tested and saw that it looked like 8-8.2. Recently I have added almond leaves and some ph down (even though I don't think it did anything). My question is, what could this color from the high ph level be? It kinda looks like 8.2 but the color is way too faded to be exact to the color. Also was wondering what else can lower the ph? I have some driftwood but only one piece, almond leaves and barely put in any ph down. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_092738.jpg
    IMG_20210401_092738.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 54
Stable ph is always better than one that fluctuates.
If your fish are fine, I wouldn't mess with it.

In Denver, Colorado they changed the range and target ph and made it higher. If you live near here this is probably what you are experienceing.
Wow I didn't know that. I know that my tap has about .25 ammonia but I haven't tested the ph yet, will do.

Stable ph is always better than one that fluctuates.
If your fish are fine, I wouldn't mess with it.
Yeah, the fish are fine. I'm not really sure how ph can or will affect the fish greatly to the point of them getting sick and possibly dying. Will that happen if the ph is too high? My fish are the hardy type, 7-8 ish ranges

Better to concern yourself with GH and KH, as PH will follow their lead. If you have a high KH for instance, no amount of almond leaves and bogwood will lower the PH. In order to get water parameters to your liking, you would need to use RO water, or at least partially.
I'm not sure why your PH is fluctuating, I'm not sure how accurate the test kits are?

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know that. I know that my tap has about .25 ammonia but I haven't tested the ph yet, will do.
Let a sample of tap sit 24 hours before testing, so that it can gas off...

What sort of fish are in the tank?
If you keep livebearers, rainbowfish, or Rift Lake cichlids, the pH is fine and doesn't need to be lowered.

If you have a lot of plants in the tank and test the water in the afternoon, the plants could be causing the pH to go up by using up the carbon dioxide.

This is a problem many aquarists initially face, and it is unfortunate that so much emphasis is still being placed by probably well-meaning sources on pH over GH and temperature which are more critical parameters, but that is the issue we face, so let's solve it for you. This will repeat what other members have correctly noted, but that for me puts everything together which is always my preference for clarity.

First, pH is closely tied to GH and KH, and the higher the latter (whichever), generally the more basic (higher above 7) the pH will be. This is natural, and as it is due to the minerals and buffering capacity of the GH/KH, you are not going to easily (if at all) change it without reducing the GH/KH and this only safely by diluting the source water with "pure" water having a lower or zero GH/KH. If you did this--not saying you need to, only explaining if you did--the pH would adjust itself accordingly and be stable at that level or be more susceptible to fluctuating, depending upon the GH/KH.

As to why yours is fluctuating...this is probably the influence of something calcareous in the tank itself, or/along with the buffering of the source water. On the latter first, what is the GH and KH of the tap water itself? You can test the tap water alone for this, but many of us do not have GH/KH test kits so you may be able to get this from the water authority if you are on municipal water. Check their website. We need the number and their unit of measure (there are several, but we can convert to the basic aquarium hobby units of ppm (= mg/l) or dGH if we know their unit.

It would also help to know the true pH of the source water. This the water authority may also have posted, but with a pH test you can easily do this one. But, you must ensure all CO2 is out-gassed, and that is easily done by letting a glass of water sit out 24 hours before testing pH, or briskly agitating a small amount of tap water in a covered container, then test. CO2 readily enters water but it also readily out-gasses from water, and any tank water will not be subject to this so far as the tap water is concerned. Every aquarium will establish its own biological system according to the organics and source water as nature does its thing.

As for the former possibility for increasing pH, what substances are in the aquarium? The composition of the substrate is often the thing here, if it is sand or gravel made from a calcareous mineral like limestone for instance. Chunks of rock can do this too, if calcareous. Calcareous substances slowly release calcium (and sometimes magnesium) and these work to increase the GH/KH and pH (most noticeably the pH).

Organic substances (wood, peat, dried leaves) release organics obviously as they slowly decompose, which tend to acidify the water, lowering the pH. Again, this is subject to the buffering capacity of the initial water, including other influencing substances (like the above). Unless the source water is very soft and on the acidic side initially, and depending upon any calcareous substances, the organic decomposition will be very slow and often not even noticeable. Very soft water low in KH will allow faster decomposition.

We can continue when we have the GH/KH and pH of the tap water on its own, and your info re possible calcareous substances. All of what is occurring is completely natural, we just have to ferret out the causes so we know what (if anything) needs doing.

This is a problem many aquarists initially face, and it is unfortunate that so much emphasis is still being placed by probably well-meaning sources on pH over GH and temperature which are more critical parameters, but that is the issue we face, so let's solve it for you. This will repeat what other members have correctly noted, but that for me puts everything together which is always my preference for clarity.

First, pH is closely tied to GH and KH, and the higher the latter (whichever), generally the more basic (higher above 7) the pH will be. This is natural, and as it is due to the minerals and buffering capacity of the GH/KH, you are not going to easily (if at all) change it without reducing the GH/KH and this only safely by diluting the source water with "pure" water having a lower or zero GH/KH. If you did this--not saying you need to, only explaining if you did--the pH would adjust itself accordingly and be stable at that level or be more susceptible to fluctuating, depending upon the GH/KH.

As to why yours is fluctuating...this is probably the influence of something calcareous in the tank itself, or/along with the buffering of the source water. On the latter first, what is the GH and KH of the tap water itself? You can test the tap water alone for this, but many of us do not have GH/KH test kits so you may be able to get this from the water authority if you are on municipal water. Check their website. We need the number and their unit of measure (there are several, but we can convert to the basic aquarium hobby units of ppm (= mg/l) or dGH if we know their unit.

It would also help to know the true pH of the source water. This the water authority may also have posted, but with a pH test you can easily do this one. But, you must ensure all CO2 is out-gassed, and that is easily done by letting a glass of water sit out 24 hours before testing pH, or briskly agitating a small amount of tap water in a covered container, then test. CO2 readily enters water but it also readily out-gasses from water, and any tank water will not be subject to this so far as the tap water is concerned. Every aquarium will establish its own biological system according to the organics and source water as nature does its thing.

As for the former possibility for increasing pH, what substances are in the aquarium? The composition of the substrate is often the thing here, if it is sand or gravel made from a calcareous mineral like limestone for instance. Chunks of rock can do this too, if calcareous. Calcareous substances slowly release calcium (and sometimes magnesium) and these work to increase the GH/KH and pH (most noticeably the pH).

Organic substances (wood, peat, dried leaves) release organics obviously as they slowly decompose, which tend to acidify the water, lowering the pH. Again, this is subject to the buffering capacity of the initial water, including other influencing substances (like the above). Unless the source water is very soft and on the acidic side initially, and depending upon any calcareous substances, the organic decomposition will be very slow and often not even noticeable. Very soft water low in KH will allow faster decomposition.

We can continue when we have the GH/KH and pH of the tap water on its own, and your info re possible calcareous substances. All of what is occurring is completely natural, we just have to ferret out the causes so we know what (if anything) needs doing.
Thank you for the information about GH/KH and Ph since I am not too familiar with it. I will test my tap water for 24 before testing ph. As for the water authority, does that mean the water from my area? And if there is a way to look up online of my area of the type of water I have if that is what you are trying to say about the municipal water. CaribSea Eco-Complete is the substrate I have in the tank. My water is soft but I can try to find out a way to test that. The high ph color remains that fainted brown/pink tone in which is hard to read since it doesn't necessarily fit any of the readings
Darker pink has flash photo, brownish color has no flash.

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_212146.jpg
    IMG_20210402_212146.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210402_212134.jpg
    IMG_20210402_212134.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 55
Thank you for the information about GH/KH and Ph since I am not too familiar with it. I will test my tap water for 24 before testing ph. As for the water authority, does that mean the water from my area? And if there is a way to look up online of my area of the type of water I have if that is what you are trying to say about the municipal water. CaribSea Eco-Complete is the substrate I have in the tank. My water is soft but I can try to find out a way to test that. The high ph color remains that fainted brown/pink tone in which is hard to read since it doesn't necessarily fit any of the readings
Darker pink has flash photo, brownish color has no flash.
I note from your profile you are from Colorado, heres a link to the water supplier's website, hopefully covers the area in which you live

Like many water quality reports for various areas, they are more concerned with dangerous contaminants, and little or nothing is mentioned about GH and pH which are what concern aquarists. I did find this comment about "alkaline substances" being added to increase the pH, but there is no indication what these substances might be:
"pH is maintained by adding alkaline substances to reduce corrosion in the distribution system and the plumbing in your home or business."​
My area adds soda ash to increase pH to prevent corrosion, and this dissipates out readily and does not affect GH or KH.

You should contact them (the water supply people) and ask specifically for the general or total hardness (the GH). Hopefully they will be able to give you the number, but also get their unit of measurement as there are several and we need to know which. The site does go into what hard water is, but interestingly they do not indicate the number, just what makes hardness.

The pH you can measure with your aquarium test kit. Let a sample of tap water sit 24 hours, then test pH, also test the tap water right out of the tap, so you have both for comparison. But you need to put the test tube up beside the colour card so we can see the result; the redish/brown colour means nothing without the colour guide.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back