Weird lip?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Is there any supplies that you use on BOTH tanks?
Also, if you have had this in the past and you have something that looks similar, it could very well be that... Keep a VERY close eye on it
This pic better shows what itā€™s lip looks like

Attachments

• F0635ED7-7AD8-4940-9D7D-A79A344ED56D.jpeg
    F0635ED7-7AD8-4940-9D7D-A79A344ED56D.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 18
  • B3777260-A9D6-4748-94F7-A7EC7CBE2D17.jpeg
    B3777260-A9D6-4748-94F7-A7EC7CBE2D17.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 22
I've no idea and won't guess as to the angelfish issue. As for the earlier photo of the guppy, I did have a couple fish showing something similar many years ago, I just left it alone and it did not spread, but I've no idea what it is. Guessing at any disease is risky.

Reseach Columnaris which is often called mouth fungus. It is not a fungus but a bacterial disease.

The goal here is either to rule it out or else to determine it is what is going on. If so, it requires antibiotic treatment.

@Byron said it right. Leave it alone. Iā€™ve seen that on fishes mouths before and it went away on its own. A guy can drive himself crazy worrying about every little thing you see. If it really is something bad the fish will croak and if not it goes away in time.

@Byron said it right. Leave it alone. Iā€™ve seen that on fishes mouths before and it went away on its own. A guy can drive himself crazy worrying about every little thing you see. If it really is something bad the fish will croak and if not it goes away in time.
ok, I have pimafix which is supposed to help with fungus and stuff I think, Im not gonna use it until I can be certain what it is. I really need to start taking pictures of fish when I buy them so I can see if it was like that already. I really hope its nothing because I lost my wallet after buying that fish and I don't really have the money to just keep buying new fish. I havent noticed this in any other fish

Reseach Columnaris which is often called mouth fungus. It is not a fungus but a bacterial disease.

The goal here is either to rule it out or else to determine it is what is going on. If so, it requires antibiotic treatment.
im pretty sure this is what we thought it was on the guppy I had a while ago. Is there anything specific to look out for like behavior wise, or somewhere other than its lip

I am pretty confident your angel fish has had an injury. The second set of images show that the upper lip has also been involved, with a bit of a bruise on the skin between the lip and the mouth. There is nothing you can do except keep the tank clean and try to identify what might have happened so that you can take steps to prevent further injury.

Columnaris is not a single strain disease. It comes in a variety of strains. The most virulent kill fast before there are any visible symptoms. Other strains are much milder and can last for some time before they might kill.

This disease can affect the lips (aka mouth fungus), the gills (where it will not be visible) and various body parts. One seen often lens another name for Columnaris, saddle back disease. It is called this because a white pact forms at the base of the dorsal fin. These white patches can appear almost anywhere on a fish.

Columnaris is a pretty common problem in both the food fish farming as well as that for ornamentals. As a result the current research into a defense against this disease is concentrated on developing a vaccine for fish.

Curing this disease requires an antibiotic. There is a lot of science on identifying the various strains and how to determine potential virulence as well as some some strains showing a resistance to certain antibiotics.

I can also say thay over the years I have had to treat for this disease more time than anything else. I have only had ich twice, wasting maybe 4 or 5 times. But columnaris has been about 9 or 10. Well actually, I have had to deal with fungus the most as it is often a secondary infection that has to be treated as well a primary infection. But fungus is pretty easy to handle and rarely fatal unless ignored.

Google Images should have pitures - many may not be great but you should be able to see enough good ones to know what to look for to diagnose this disease.

I am pretty confident your angel fish has had an injury. The second set of images show that the upper lip has also been involved, with a bit of a bruise on the skin between the lip and the mouth. There is nothing you can do except keep the tank clean and try to identify what might have happened so that you can take steps to prevent further injury.
could water parameters have anything to do with this, I just found out that water hardness is a thing and mine tested as 0

In this case no. My hardness is 0 KH and 1 sometimes 2 GH. The only issue would be if your pH drops rapidly due to lack of buffering. I raise Angels and have seen similar damaged lips if they lock lips, doesn't happen often but it does happen from time to time. Be aware that any injury is a potential entry source for disease causing organisms, so monitoring and cleanliness are important to reduce the the risk of secondary infections.

Ammonia, Nitrite, and high Nitrates could slow the healing or even make things worse, so in that regard the water parameters can affect the recovery.

If you do large water changes, which I do, your water has less time to allow the water pH to fluctuate wildly. The test kit is just giving a general range. Some fish, thinking mostly South American fish, prefer low hardness and lower/mid pH ranges. If a test kit gives a range and you are outside that range then they have an opportunity to sell you some buffer agent. Our freshwater fish come from a large range of environments, your ideal KH and GH will be determined by the fish you keep.

Typically you should try to avoid "adjusting" your water, most people end up chasing a moving target, too high -> too low (could be pH, GH, or KH), in the end the fish suffer. More advanced aquarists will adjust their RO water in some cases but for most of us it is not a good idea.

I haven't seen what your current parameters are, Angels prefer neutral to slightly acidic water, with lower KH and GH.

If you do large water changes, which I do, your water has less time to allow the water pH to fluctuate wildly. The test kit is just giving a general range. Some fish, thinking mostly South American fish, prefer low hardness and lower/mid pH ranges. If a test kit gives a range and you are outside that range then they have an opportunity to sell you some buffer agent. Our freshwater fish come from a large range of environments, your ideal KH and GH will be determined by the fish you keep.

Typically you should try to avoid "adjusting" your water, most people end up chasing a moving target, too high -> too low (could be pH, GH, or KH), in the end the fish suffer. More advanced aquarists will adjust their RO water in some cases but for most of us it is not a good idea.

I haven't seen what your current parameters are, Angels prefer neutral to slightly acidic water, with lower KH and GH.
The hardness showed up as 0, nitrates were around 40 ppm, ph was all the way up to 8, and ammonia showed 0

I posted another thread about something with this fish and looking like it had something on its lip, now it is just floating around the tank and canā€™t swim. I got the fish 2 days ago and I can confirm something was growing off of the lip so I dosed the tank with pimafix

I posted another thread about something with this fish and looking like it had something on its lip, now it is just floating around the tank and canā€™t swim. I got the fish 2 days ago and I can confirm something was growing off of the lip so I dosed the tank with pimafix
Also I bought 2 fish that day and the other one is doing completely fine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back