Weird lip?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FYI I would suggest that 40 ppm of nitrates is too high, you will need some water changes to bring that down, 20ppm at water change time is the highest I would allow, but I target 10ppm or less. 8 seems high for the pH as well. I wonder what is driving that up, normally pH drops unless there is some calcareous material in the tank?

Steps to make the environment better for the Angels (remember this is just my opinion):
  1. Test your tap water for Nitrate, pH, GH, and KH (if you have nitrates here we may have to manage the system differently)
  2. Take a pail of tap water and let it sit a day then test for pH, GH, and KH (this will be the baseline)
  3. Test your tank water for the normal waste compounds, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and for the water parameters pH, GH, KH
  4. Do at least a 50% water change to drop the nitrate, the lower the nitrate the better chance your angel has with healing well. I drain 50% from the tank then setup a hose from the tap to my tank, adjust the water temp to be as close to tank temp as possible, add to the tank enough chlorine treatment to treat the volume of the tank, not just the removed water, then fill the tank from the hose.
  5. Schedule a weekly water change of 50%.
Depending on the first two steps we may want to do some additional things (pail water for the tap water except for the Nitrate):
  1. If you have nitrates in your tap water I suspect you may want to look at some resin type nitrate absorber, I really cannot help you here because I haven't ever had to deal with this problem
  2. If your tap water has low GH, KH, but high pH you have a bit of a problem, typically high pH is associated with higher KH and GH. Lets deal with that if it occurs but hope it doesn't. The water supplier might be adding pH booster of some sort to reduce corrosion in the pipes. If all three are high then you really have hard water and angels might not be appropriate fish.
  3. If your tap water has low GH, KH, and neutral to low pH, there is something in the aquarium that is driving up the pH. That could be something in the substrate, or in the hardscape, rocks. I would suggest that the rocks might be the culprit. Typically pure calcium carbonate will not raise the pH fast or high but most rocks are not pure. From the pictures your rocks look like they could be calcareous, limestone.
The above is primarily to increase the odds that your angel recovers from its injury. If it is an infection of some sort rather than an injury you may have to do some additional steps, and others will have to help you. Keep us posted on how well your angel is doing.

It seems to have something but I donā€™t know what. I would put it in the least stressful environment you can provide then do research on the symptoms so you know what to do.

It seems to have something but I donā€™t know what. I would put it in the least stressful environment you can provide then do research on the symptoms so you know what to do.
I donā€™t have much hope on it surviving until morning, it is literally not able to move without the flow of the water, it just floats around however the water pushes it, even upsidedown

Yep I was right, it didnā€™t make it to the morning. All my other fish still seem fine so I really hope petsmart has a policy on refunds if the fish dies after 2 days because I do not have money to be losing a 10 dollar fish just like that

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back