Weird black algae on my aquarium glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What type of substrate do you have? Cories prefer sand. You might also add almond leaves or oak leaves as it will darken the water a bit. Bettas like tannins in the water.

The need to be aged brown dead leaves.

Just get some floating plants. That will cut down in brightness of lights reaching the bottom. Is tank near a sunny window.

what is the gh of the water (hardness).

Last edited:
@Fishmanic I don’t have sand but my gravel isn’t sharp. My Betta isn’t aggressive I had him with some ghost shrimp (well they died pretty soon because they don’t survive for long)

I haven't had much luck with it, but many members recommend watersprite. One member floats hornwart with good results. The floating plants may help suck up excess nurients to outcompete the algae. If you want more than five cories, I would add half at a time so your beneficial bacteria can grow.

Cories do prefer sand or very small smooth gravel as they can reach the food that lands on the substrate better.

It's just brown algae on the glass. It grows anywhere there is light and water.

If you have the light on for 10 hours a day, then algae will grow because you don't have many aquatic plants in the tank. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and Duckweed will help to use nutrients and reduce light, thus reducing the algae.

To remove the algae, just use a clean soap free sponge and wipe it off.

If you have the light on for 10 hours a day, then algae will grow because you don't have many aquatic plants in the tank. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and Duckweed will help to use nutrients and reduce light, thus reducing the algae.

Oh okay thanks.

+1 on fast growing floating plants. Water Sprite is my favorite. Duckweed is good can can be a bit of a pest plant. Water Wisteria is a great stem plant.

There is another thread on the same basic topic, related anyway. As noted therein by several members, cories are not advisable here, and they do not eat algae.

Algae is natural in any aquarium, we just like to keep it in check. And the advice others have posted on lighting and floating plants is your best option.

Okay I did plus I got some ghost shrimp. Do you think they would eat it?

Ghost/ Glass shrimp will pick at algae but they are unlikely to clean it all off the glass.

A clean fish sponge is the best way to remove algae from the front glass. I leave algae on the back and sides so the fish feel more secure and can graze on it if they like.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back