Weird black algae on my aquarium glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

RainGamma

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
image.jpg
Iā€™m not sure what this is. But if anyone could help me that would be great.

Btw I have a Betta fish (thatā€™s all lmao) itā€™s in a 20 gallon long is there any fish I can put in there to deal with it?

You could put in a nerite snail..might help a little but usually algae is caused by too many nutrients or too much light. What type of lighting do you use? Is it near a window? Sunlight can cause algae outbreaks. Do you use fertilizers for your plants?

. Bettas do best alone. Don't add any algae eating fish. At most you could add some corys but they don't eat algae off the glass although they would eat it off the substrate.

You could remove your decor and use a stiff brush to remove it. Then rinse in tank water.

You can use a nylon scrubbie to remove the algae from the glass.

Last edited:
you could put in a nerite snail..might help a little but usually algae is caused by too many nutrients or too much light. What type of lighting do you use? Is it near a window? Do you use fertilizers for your plants? Sun can cause algae outbreaks. You could remove your decor and use a stiff brush to remove it.

Bettas do best alone. Don't add any algae eating fish.

I think itā€™s my light it seems pretty strong. This is my light https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-led-deluxe-full-hood

You could put in a nerite snail..might help a little but usually algae is caused by too many nutrients or too much light. What type of lighting do you use? Is it near a window? Sunlight can cause algae outbreaks. Do you use fertilizers for your plants?

. Bettas do best alone. Don't add any algae eating fish. At most you could add some corys but they don't eat algae off the glass although they would eat it off the substrate.

You could remove your decor and use a stiff brush to remove it. Then rinse in tank water.

Btw I might wanna get a Cory cat fish I have a 20 gallon long would that be good enough? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AS21W/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a question if I buy a nerite snail what else would it eat?

How many hours do you leave the light on? You could cut down the hours it's on. Also you might want to put in some floating plants to suck up excess nitrates and to lower your lighting that reaches the bottom of the tank. Bettas prefer lower lighting.

It basically eats algae and any flakes or other food that reaches the bottom of the tank.

How many hours do you leave the light on? You could cut down the hours it's on. Also you might want to put in some floating plants to suck up excess nitrates and to lower your lighting that reaches the bottom of the tank. Bettas prefer lower lighting.
Well 10 hours but I will lower it. Even ways Iā€™m getting a different type of light that is better and something my better would like.

If you get cories, get several.. at least 5 as they like to be in groups Get the smaller dwarf cories like spotted cories or pygmy cories . You could feed them sinking pellet food. But donā€™t feed excessively as that could lead to excessive nitrates.

If you get cories, get several.. at least 5 as they like to be in groups Get the smaller dwarf cories like spotted cories or pygmy cories . You could feed them sinking pellet food. But donā€™t feed excessively as that could lead to excessive nitrates.
Okay thanks. I sure will.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back