We Got A Pond!!!!!!!

vantgE

I know you agree
Reaction score
the ponds 270 gallons, came with one plastic liner a pump and a froggy thing that spits water,

any sites that could help us out with the pond for info and such?

and some questions, what will we need to make it fish worthy at the minimum i liked the idea of the golden rudd for fish, as suggested by paul v biker

and do we need like a blanket below the liner thingy it's a plasticy one but the soft plastic that you shape your own pond with i guess, so do we need to put something in the hole to stop the dirt from moveing under the liner i don't know anything about ponds actually so a few basics would be nice, that's just a big long ramble pick through it and help me if you can please

thanks

Dig a whole at a similar shape as the liner and layer with 2"-3" of sand, that will protect the liner. If you intend to keep fish you will need a filter and pump, and IMO and IME if you have hot summers it is best to have a oxygenating pump as well in smallish ponds especailly for fish like Rudd and Orfe which have high oxygen content requirments.

When the pond is in fill it up and plump the filter and other equipment in and get it churning, I then normally leave it to settle for 10 days and add a layer of sand/gravel for bottom dwelling species, this also helps aquatic insects to survive so there are more for the fish. Then put some marginals and deep water plants in and some floating plants and wait another 5 days before adding 2-3 fish and then gradually over a period of weeks stock the pond. :)

here is a site or sites http://www.earthponds.com/links.htm
1.when it came to my pump i got a bio wheel pump and then i put filter pads around it(just platic sponge type thing) and then i put a screen bag around that so that the pads would stay.
2.then we put that in a bucket normaly used for underground plumbing, then we 3.then we cut a slit in the front of it that went below the water line so that leaves and stuff could flow into the pump/skimmer
4.then we set it across from out waterfall
5.the pumpline went to the waterfall
the waterfall was made of gravel in a backet and a air filter cut to size and the pump that led to the water fall was underneath all these. and then we set rocks up around it to hid the bucket. and the big touch fot the water falll was to hid the top to which we made a wooden box filled with dirt and plantsand set it on top so that it blended in with the garden surronding.

hope that wasnt to confusing :/

last time i had a liner i didnt use sand ,i used carpet underlay(an old carpet will do the job as well)if youve got a bit extra liner create a bog area next to the pond ,other than that i think ryan pretty much coverd it :hyper:

another question anything special we'd have to do for the winter? as it get's cold up here in calgary

bump and it's a bout 7 1/2 long 3 1/2 wide 20 inches deep jus over 300 gallons i guessing, and has a small filter atached to a three hundred gallon perhour pump

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back