Ways to wash driftwood for going straight into the tank are there any?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You could boil it to death...along with any creepy crawlies and other nasties within it....for a few hours, I spose

I would boil it anyway especially if collected from the garden, beach, grass verge, river bank or field cos you never know what might have pee'd on it

oh when i say aqquired i still meant bought lol

from the dreaded LPS unfortunatley though

ill boil it for a couple hours if that means i can start aquascaping tonight :D

You might still need to soak it...sometimes for days or weeks...just to get the blighter to actually sink and stay put

Depends on where you got it. If you got it from your LFS, a 24 hour soak and scrub should be good. If you collected it from the wild, I wouldn’t recommend you add it at all. (Unless it is a hard wood that is safe)

Don’t boil the driftwood, it will break down the wood fibers, causing the driftwood to have a shorter life in the tank.

im not so fussed about replacing it in time more concerned with getting it in so hopefully the CAE will call it home and stop pestering the others before i can sell/rehome him

How big is the CAE?

They should never be sold for aquariums imho.

They are only algae eaters when juveniles, once grown up they stop eating algae completely and go for the slimecoat on the slow, slab side fish like Gourami and Rainbows who they attack at night and frequently kill thanks to not just the removal of slimecoat but the introduction of bacterial infection into the wounds that they leave behind.

he is nearing 3 inches ive already been to the lps and told them how angry i was that they sold him to me knowing i had a community tank
Won't they take the fish back for a refund or credit note?

If you have slabsides in your community, he needs to be removed asap and before he does any damage. An attack by CAE looks very much like a reddened scrape or graze down the side of a slabside that never heals

CAE's are lethal in a community that has slabsides, they are vicious fish that take full advantage of slow moving fish at night when they are dozing

Won't they take the fish back for a refund or credit note?

If you have slabsides in your community, he needs to be removed asap and before he does any damage. An attack by CAE looks very much like a reddened scrape or graze down the side of a slabside that never heals

CAE's are lethal in a community that has slabsides, they are vicious fish that take full advantage of slow moving fish at night when they are dozing
oh theyll take him back but no refund or anything i reckon thats the way its gonna be though back to where he came from

If they don't offer a refund or at least a credit note, you could always let them know that you'll name and shame them on social media. This should have an impact, as I suspect they'll have a FaceBook page at least. ;)
Back to the wood...
Ideally, would should be completely submerged and soaked for at least a week, if not two. This ensures that it'll sink and stay sunk. It should then be boiled, briefly, to kill any living passengers.

im simply not going in anymore after today

theyve already told me im one of there best customers so its there loss not mine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back