Water's Smell

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RinaLane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm using Tetra AquaSafe + for monthly maintence & as dechlorinator for tap water... Expiration date 06/2017 When I change about 40% of water I add needed ammount recommended on bottle (for ~130L add 15ml of stuff) & water smells ok. In couple of hours it start to stink very strongly. Like something dying in my aquarium. The smell lasts for about 3-4h making room with aquarium just nasty smelling. Is this normal?? Something not right with my tap water or with water conditioner?

Your aquarium shouldn't have a foul smell off it. I know my dechlorinater (prime) has a smell off it when you open the bottle, but it doesn't stink the tank.

The only time my tank has had a bad smell off it was when there was a dead fish in it. Couldn't see the blighter till I lifted the coconut shell.

It's not normal, no. Healthy tanks shouldn't ever smell, except for possibly a faint damp compost/soil sort of aroma.

Firstly; if you just leave the dechlorinated water out in a bucket, does it smell? If not, then we can narrow the problem down to something in your tank.

Are you only doing maintenance monthly? Most tanks benefit from weekly maintenance, with the percentage of water changed depending on how heavily stocked your tank is.

If you could post the size of your tank, and what fish you have, we might be able to recommend a better regimen for you
smile.png

I will second what fluttermoth has said. Do a little detective work to narrow down the problem then you can fix it. A tank should smell pleasant. A good marine tank smells like the ocean and a good freshwater tank smells like the stream. 

thirding fluttermoth. At most, the tank may smell a little damp die to the humidity under the hood and small bits of algae or inevitably mould growing on the hood which should be cleaned every week (warm, moist environments tend to do that). If you don't have a hood, it shouldn't smell too much. It definitely shouldn't reek the room out.

I use this particular dechlorinator once in month I have another one for weekly changes . My husband bought it with aquarium to help to set it up. It's almost full bottle trying to use it up.
Usually water doesn't smell at all just like water with faint smell of wet grass I guess. Nothing major that I could smell it right when I enter the room & I have a glass lid on it too.
Dechlorinator doesn't smell pleasant but when I add it in fresh tap water the smell disappear. And it's fine for 1st few hours in tank. And then its start to stink. And again over night smell is gone. But it's really unpleasant. Really really.
The only thing could be dead in my tank is couple of shrimps because there were bought as live food for my fish & their population is shrinking. Should I pull my plants out to see if anything rotten there?

I have 75G tank with lots of plants & with 7 fish medium or small size & about 15 shrimps.
I use this particular dechlorinator once in month I have another one for weekly changes . My husband bought it with aquarium to help to set it up. It's almost full bottle trying to use it up.
Usually water doesn't smell at all just like water with faint smell of wet grass I guess. Nothing major that I could smell it right when I enter the room & I have a glass lid on it too.
Dechlorinator doesn't smell pleasant but when I add it in fresh tap water the smell disappear. And it's fine for 1st few hours in tank. And then its start to stink. And again over night smell is gone. But it's really unpleasant. Really really.
The only thing could be dead in my tank is couple of shrimps because there were bought as live food for my fish & their population is shrinking. Should I pull my plants out to see if anything rotten there?

I have 75G tank with lots of plants & with 7 fish medium or small size & about 15 shrimps.

The smell lasts for about 3-4h making room with aquarium just nasty smelling. Is this normal?? Something not right with my tap water or with water conditioner?
Slightly off topic as it relates to Prime, However bear with me.

I was at a friends house today and noticed her fish tank was dirty, so I gave her a hand to clean it up and do a 50% water change, I treated the water with Prime.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seachem-Prime-water-conditioner-250ml-/111529744889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19f7b0d9f9

2.5 Millilitres to 100 Litres ( 25 Gallons ) of water

Talk about stink.

Firstly; if you just leave the dechlorinated water out in a bucket, does it smell?

Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations,
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

I wonder if that's what RinaLane could smell? Yes I know she was not using Prime, But it's worth looking into it.

Remember we just had flooding in the area where I live so the water supplier is treating the water extra well, I have never noticed the smell before.

I solved it. Got rid of that Tetra bottle :) Its smells fine with my usual weekly dechlorinator

I solved it. Got rid of that Tetra bottle
What was wrong with it?

What I am thinking.

What if the Tetra AquaSafe + was reacting because of exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, In that case all you did was replace a product that neutralises chloramine for 1 that don't.

I am most likely wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back