Water Test Results Chart With Advice - Opinions Requested Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mamashack

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Would appreciate if experienced fish-keepers would take a look at these links to water test results charts with advice. I used them myself before I saw the light and started following the fishless cycling route, but must say I wasn't happy with and therefore ignored the advice about adjusting pH levels and use of Ammolock.
I know they are external to TFF but I haven't been able to find anything like them on here. 

http://freshaquarium...mmoniachart.htm

http://freshaquarium...itritechart.htm

Do you think they would be useful for people who have been given poor advice and already gone for the fish-in cycling?
Many thanks
Ros

The problem with charts like this is that people follow them without thinking about what they're doing.

Personally my list goes, something wrong, find out why, make water safe for fish, fix why, but they're talking about fish in cycles, which aren't really on my personal list.

They recommend changing pH. I can see the logic but pH shifts in a tank that toxic will make the water safer, but could pH shock the already struggling fish.

Salt is never recommended with certain fish (well, rarely) and I'm not 100% sure I can see why it's on the recommendation lists. Although they do, to be fair, state that their advice varies with stocking.

Overall, if you leave levels like that then you end up ignoring a rapidly degrading situation sometimes, so no, I don't like them. Plus, in my humble opinion, it exemplifies everything that is wrong with a fish in cycle. It allows tanks to run in toxic levels until something is done about the problem.

Thanks for replying Dr Rob - I didn't see it quite that way, but that's why I'm asking what others think.
thanks.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back