Water Supply Trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, a couple days before my W/C's are due, our water supply is shut off for around 8 hours because they're connecting the pipes to some new flats down the road. Didn't think anything of it, but when it was switched back on, our water was couldy for a few hours so I let it run to clear it out.

Do my W/C's as normal a couple of days later, and so far i've lost a molly, a cory, a ranchu goldfish and an EBJD.... all from different tanks. Water tests have been as normal with the Nutrafin liquid kit: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate of 30-40 (our tap nitrates are high).

Because it's happened in so many of my tanks, i'm correct in assuming it's probably the water source right? Do you think the water board added some extra chemicals to the water in case of soiled water getting backflowed into the clean water pipes (someone told me this can happen, I have no idea though)? I'm so sad, i've lost some of my favourite fish :(

I don't know what to do, esp seeing as the test kit hasn't picked up any abnormalities :unsure: I mean, could it be a higher level of lead? :sick: I let the taps run though to clear out that cloudy crap.

Ugh... very very angry and upset :angry:

Maybe you should contact the water company. If the fish have been harmed like this then chances are its not great water for people to have been drinking!

It could have been an increase in additives - but it could also have been sealants or new pipes leaving a little contamination until they settled...

Sorry to hear what happened.

The water company may give you a little discount on your water bill if you make a comment to them. Be sure to tell them the value of the fish you have lost - and mention the stress and anxiety it has caused you. Dont rub it in - but dont let them get away lightly.

They may decide to get a sample of water tested from your taps (or aquarium)

It may be too late now - but if you have a sample of the water that was cloudy you can get the water board to properly test it for you.

Normally when the water goes cloudy like that - it is just micro air bubbles. You can test this out by getting a glass of the cloudy water and leaving it - if you see the 'cloud' drifting to the bottom of the glass it is sediment and you should certainly complain to the water board. If you see the 'could' rising and eventually the water goes clear - it is just micro air bubbles.

I have found that after works like that my water board increases the chlorine content I.E. you can smell it when pouring water from the tap - this normally settles down after a couple of days.

As far as I am aware - anything that the water board is using should be neutralized by your tap conditioner - but you need to know what is in there to get the right dosage. For example - if there were chloramine in my water - I would need to double the amount of conditioner that I use.

It is worth looking on your water boards website and getting a water quality report - mine is Thames Water - found here:
Thames Water quality report

You just tap in your postcode - I believe that all UK water boards are required to make this information available.

whenever maintenance is carried out they will flush the pipes, so there lies your problem...ring up your water board and ask them to warn you in future

Thanks guys, yup i'm gonna ring them tomo... really sad about losing the fish and I can't be the only one around here with tanks! The water, when first out of the tap and cloudy, DID have sediment in it - not much but it wasn't great to look at.

And yeah, i'm thinking I should have increased the dechlorinator dosage :( well i'll know for next time I guess.

Hi, whereabouts are you exactly...well not exactly....I'm not a stalker :huh: I'm in IG10 and our water has been awful for the last few days.....really cloudy!!!! I need to do a big water change on one of my tanks today....but am thinking maybe I'll leave it!!!

Lisa x

Edit: sorry to hear about your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back