Water Lily In Tank? Temperature?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shahbazin

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Would putting in a water lily help in getting the cycle going in a 75 gallon tank? Does it matter when you cycle a tank if it's not heated? (house tends to be about 76 degrees F - we have AC but don't run it real cold). The water lily is just sending up leaves, & it has a sort of rootball which I imagine has lots of bacteria in it - it's been in the 100 gallon stock tank in our backyard for over a year, which has 5 goldfish in it, & has been maintained by frequent water changes. I am going to put  Dr. Tim's One & Only in the tank also. How would using this sort of plant affect adding in ammonia? Can water lilies do OK indoors? Or would it have to go back outside after a couple of weeks? I like live plants, but this is the only one the goldfish don't eat. The 75 gallon tank is entirely for the benefit of the goldfish - once it is cycled, can I add them in all at once, or say 2 first, & then the other 3? They're all about 2 years old.

I would not plant until after the cycle. When using One and Only, you need to add the appropriate amount of ammonia for the One and Only to work. You don't want to risk harming the plant with so much ammonia. Besides, the plant likely would not have enough bacteria to make a noticeable difference. Sure, it would help, but I don't think there would be enough bacteria. Heat speeds up the cycling process, so if you have a heater, run it just for the cycle.

I'm not sure how well water lilies do indoors.

What species of goldfish? Depending on their species and size, the tank may be just big enough to handle five goldfish or too small for even one.

Assuming these are not koi or comets or other similar varieties, your fancy types should all go in at the same time once the cycle is completed and you've done a large water change.

I'm not sure how well water lilies do indoors.
I have 1 in a 2 foot tank its doing great.

fxw30o.jpg

the red plants are red tigar lotus which is a lilly

001_zps8zcryt4t.jpg

Stunning plants but grow like crazy. You can either allow them to take over and cover the surface though or you can choose to keep them pruned back. My fish like to shade underneath the leaves :)

You really need to find out what species your water lily is. Saying 'water lily' is a bit like saying' tree'; there are thousands of species, from all over the world, with differing requirements.

Some water lilies will do fine in a tank, others won't, but unless you know what you have, there's no way of knowing whether it'll do well or not.

I would be very wary of moving goldfish from a large tank to a smaller one. As attibones rightly points out, even a 75 gallon might not be suitable, depending on what type of goldfish you have.

If you can get pictures of them, we can identify them for you
smile.png

Thanks for all of the advice! I think this lily's pretty small - we got it from Lowe's home improvement last year; all the kinds listed get 24" tall & up to 24" wide (it didn't get that big last year, only about as much surface space as a dinner plate). Glad to see that some do OK in tanks. I'm removing the stock tank, so it's the fish tank, or finding someone else who wants it. 

The fish have been doing well where they are, as far as I can tell; they've got good fins, & are lively, but I'm concerned that as they grow, filtration is more important than the extra 25 gal. They've been there for about 1 1/2 years (1 spent 6 months in our 10 gallon before being moved outside), but the stock tank is just a big tub sunk in the ground - I do a 50% water change every week, but the water stays real green. It's got a few rocks (the fish hid under them when the heron tried to get them), the water lily, & an elk antler (so lizards can climb out if they fall in).

The stock tank

The fish - the orange one is Ghost, the speckled one is Rainbow Sprinkles, the smaller white is Dragon, the bigger white is Clownie, & the orange & white is Lotus.

Where I want to move them to

Nice Lillys. What I suggest is try 1.

Yeah you need a very large tank for those fish, like 500 gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back