Quarantine Tank in Between Customers

gwand36 152

Fish Aficionado
Fish of the Month 🌟
2x Tank of the Month!
Supporting Member ⭐
2x Pet of the Month!
Joined
Dec 31, 2022
Messages
3,090
Reaction score
6,158
Points
113
Location
Baltimore, MD
When my 20 gallon long quarantine tank is not in use I feed it 20 drops of Dr. Tim’s ammonia once per week and then perform a large water change prior to adding a new arrival. This seems to keep the nitrogen cycle going. Anybody have a different method?
 
This might gets crowds with pitchforks chasing me, but since all the tanks I use are planted, and there is life going on in there even without fish, when they're in QT use, I leave them to run fishless. I never buy so many fish at once that the tank is suddenly crowded.

If I'm worried about incoming fish, I'll trade a filter with a more crowded tank, as I always run extras.

It's worked for years with no problems...
 
I just keep a few fish in each of my 2 QTs 24/7. Also, that way if I need a sponge filter to be dropped in a hospital tank or a larger Tupperware tub QT, I’ve always got a drop in filter ready to go. My having mostly smaller fish these days also helps compared to my discus days when larger QTs were a necessity.
 
I just have spare sponges in the main tanks filters. After use for QT I dispose of the sponge and pop a new one in the main tank to get seeded. When QT’ing I change water every couple of days.
 
Being the overly cautious type I decided on both approaches. I placed 9 ember tetras in the QT tank until if and when a new fish arrives and I will also swap out sponges. I know. The redundancy is unnecessary.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top