Water for new fish tank.

MuffenMan

Reaction score
Im restarting my fish tank, but have forgotten how to start the cycle.

I've read up on this web page howto start the cycle, but it lacks a bit of information i need.

I have a plus, minus 80 l tank (21 gal) and bought a new filter for it. Its a external filter that cycles about 300 l (80 Gal) an hour. Is this fine for my tank?

And another thing, when preparing the water for the tank. How much salt must i use? About 1/2 tsp to a gallon?

:hi: to the forums.

No problems with the filter :)

As for the salt, i don't understand why you want to put it in? It isn't really necessary. IMO, salt is for marine and brackish tanks.

Merry Christmas

P.T.

I agree, skip the salt, instead of making things more complicated then they need to be. Clean water and appropriate livestock choice will keep the tank free from stress, the key elements to a healthy tank.

Were you planning on cycling with or without fish?

Thanks for replying.

Ok, i'll try skipping the salt. I just read that the plants and fish need the salts and minerals in the water to survive.

I was planing on starting the fish tank tomorrow, and let it run for about 4 days and then add 3 fish to help finish the cycle. What good fish should i use? No Mollies or Guppies plz :D

Should i ask my dealer for some gravel/filter paper to help start the cycle?

oh well, back to the christmas food :sick:

and let it run for about 4 days and then add 3 fish
Sounds good, though there is really no reason to wait 4 days, unless you want to.

What good fish should i use?
Well, preferably something you'll keep anyway. Do you have any plans yet on livestock choice?

I haven’t got any thing in mind about fish yet, just a general community tank with lots of nice fish that make people go "oooooo"

I was thinking of starting the fish tank with 3 "Black Widows" (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) they are "hard" fish.

Do i need air bubbles in my fish tank, since my new filter isnt driven by a air pump? I read/heard somewhere that the air is transferred through the surface of the water and not by air bubbles.

most filters will provide enough surface agitation so there is no need for an air pump. Though there is nothing wrong with a pump if you like to see bubbles in your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back