Water Clearity

E

Eddo

Hi... i was wondering.. i did a water change a few days ago and cleaned my rocks and everything and my tank was fine for a day or two and the water got cloudy again.. soo i figured it was my filter pad and carbon packet soo i put in new carbon and a new pad..... and the water was still cloudy... i was wondering if it could be the ammonia in the water that is making this happen?? could ammonia levels too high produce cloudy water?

IS YOUR TANK NEW? IF SO THEY COULD BE JUST ALGAE BLOOMS THAT WILL CLEAR IF THE BACTERIA LEVELS ARE OK, IF NOT KEEP ADDING CYCLE THE GOOD BACTERIA FORM THIS CAN NEVER BE GIVEN TOO MUCH OF.

I have had my tank now for three months... i did have the algae problem when i first had the tank but i had that cleared up in no time at all..... i have 8 fish in a ten gallon tank and i just think that they are going to the bath room to much for such a small tank....

It sounds to me as though you have new tank syndrome. I read and understand that your tank is 3 months old, but if you've had a scrub down and stripped your tank. You would have thrown out all your good bacteria which incidentially thrive on hard surfaces.ie rocks and pebbles and stones.
You have not given your water parameters, but throwing cycle into the tank will not do anything. The "good" bacteria in "Cycle" are dormant and cocconed in a special cell. That is how they can survive bottled without air. The are only "activated" when they are presented with the right conditions. The right condition is not new water. You will need to cycle and mature the water for at least 2 weeks before you introduce any fish. Then only introduce a couple for a week, then add your "cycle" bacteria and then you can start to introduce further fish. To do anything else will surely result in termination of your fish.
I have recently qualified as a ichthyologist and have kept fish for quite a while now.

Hi AEddo, I moved this topic from newbies to here. Why don't you register to our great site ?

I've noticed something similar in my tank (question asked in this post: http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?&a...ST&f=26&t=8266)

But I'm thinking that the bacteria in my tank are doing a good job as the ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 (and stay there), my only problem being that nitrate levels go from about 30 mg/l after a water change to 100-150 mg/l in about 5 days.

I changed 25% of the tank water 2 days ago and this morning my water looked about as milky as it looked when about 3 weeks old... :eek:

Am I overfeeding maybe?

I have 4 (proper) plants and I thought they'd help to reduce nitrate levels (I thought plants uptake nitrate?)?

I have also had this problem on and off.

I don't know why it happens, but generally I have found it goes away on its own. I know it can be an algae bloom or small particles in the water that the filter doesn't pick up, but i have been told it is not harmful to your fish, just looks not so nice. I never had this problem when my tank was first set up.

Have you tried two products called B Clear or P Clear? B Clear is to help get rid of algae bloom and P Clear is for small particles. I have found that sometimes they have worked for me but not in every case.

sucky fish are cool said:
I have also had this problem on and off.

I don't know why it happens, but generally I have found it goes away on its own. I know it can be an algae bloom or small particles in the water that the filter doesn't pick up, but i have been told it is not harmful to your fish, just looks not so nice. I never had this problem when my tank was first set up.

Have you tried two products called B Clear or P Clear? B Clear is to help get rid of algae bloom and P Clear is for small particles. I have found that sometimes they have worked for me but not in every case.
I've tried a floculant for small particles and I may buy some algea bloom control today, although I don't like adding too many chemicals to the water.

If it's natural and disappears in a couple of days I will let nature take it's course :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back