Water Changes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Best to try and add water as close to tank temp in first place, but if just a degree or two difference in temps, nothing to worry about really.

The heater in the tank will gradually bring tank water to desired temp.

You can just use the hot & cold taps to match your current tank temp. If it's a degree or so either side it won't be a huge deal but a match is always best! If you're using an outside source with just cold, you'll need to use a heater as even room temp might not be warm enough.

Sometimes a change in temp is a good thing, depending on the fish species, as it can trigger breeding behaviour. Some corries, for example, can be 'pushed on' by a temp change of a few degrees less than the tank temp.

vrob said:
Another vote for Prime. My LFS doesn't stock it but I can usually find it in the fish supply section of my local Petsmart so other pet stores might stock it too. My bottle says "5ml Prime per 50 gallons (200L) of water" so as the_lock_man said, it lasts quite a while.

Vrob, you need to bear in mind that the OP in this thread is a Brit, so going to Petsmart is a tad extreme! I've only ever seen it for sale in 1 LFS in my area (and I've visited probably 12-15).

I've never seen Prime in a shop (although, tbf, I don't get to may LFS these days!).

I started using this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concentrated-Aquarium-Tap-Water-Dechlorinator-Chlorine-Chloramine-Remover-INT-/300921616822?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item46105379b6 last year, as Prime had got quite hard to source, even online (Seachem had stopped it being sold on both ebay and Amazon, if I remember rightly). I've been using it in all my tanks, that range from a 5'x2'x2' with big catfish and an oscar, through to a 55l with  nano fish and shrimps and I've been very happy with it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was just about to get some Prime but you've swung me, fluttermoth. I'm going to get some of that now instead. Thank you for the recommendation :)

After reading the article posted about conditioners by TTA, I'm quite anxious to get away from using the API and Interpet versions which both have Aloe Vera and advertise 'stress relieving' properties. As it turns out, according to that article, these extra additives may not have the health benefits promised and, in fact, might lead to a deterioration in fish health...

If you can't trust huge chemical companies, who can you trust, eh? :)

the_lock_man said:

Another vote for Prime. My LFS doesn't stock it but I can usually find it in the fish supply section of my local Petsmart so other pet stores might stock it too. My bottle says "5ml Prime per 50 gallons (200L) of water" so as the_lock_man said, it lasts quite a while.

Vrob, you need to bear in mind that the OP in this thread is a Brit, so going to Petsmart is a tad extreme! I've only ever seen it for sale in 1 LFS in my area (and I've visited probably 12-15).

Yeah, Sorry about the confusion. I saw the OP was from the UK and figured they might not have petsmart but I didn't mean petsmart specifically. What I was getting at was to check out other pets stores and not just fish only shops. 

bryanh2901 said:
Ok, thanks again guys. I have e-mailed Scottish Water to find out if our supply does contain chloramine. Going on from this, what's the best or recommended water conditioner? I have bought some "Interpet tap safe" but I'm not sure if this is what's needed? I don't mind paying a bit more for something that's better for the fish.

Out of interest what did the water company say? I'm interested as I just got an API Master Test Kit. I could go on retesting the tap water to look for variances but if they have "maximum limits" for things like nitrates that would be interesting as well as the chlorinating compound - pleased I read this thread as I thought it was just chlorine gas they used and was safe after a few days rest. Not sure about the rest of the claims like complexing with copper...a lot of the waterpipes are now plastic.

One point not yet answered in this thread concerns the volume and frequency of your water changes.  I would increase the volume and you can stay with twice weekly but once weekly is fine.  I change about half my tanks' volumes every week, sometimes a bit more.  Provided the parameters between tank water and tap water are not extreme, this is better.

On the temp, I agree to use the hot/cold taps.  And a tad cooler is usually better.  This stimulates the fish because it is close to a tropical rainstorm bringing cooler water into the environment, and you will often see increased activity and spawning from many species on the morning following a water change.  This is due to the changes in water chemistry and temperature.

Byron.

Purchase an RO unit it solves the problem of impurities in the water changes. I've been using this method for many years with no problems.

Is it perfectly safe to use R.O water without any treatment? I've recently purchased some from my LFS for my shrimp tank and it is TDS 2 ppm. Have read articles that say RO doesn't remove chlorine etc so am a bit unsure. Logic is telling me that if everything is removed then it must be ok and the same LFS uses it without treatment in their tanks.
I guess I've just talked myself into trusting it 
tongue2.gif

The simple answer is no. There are complex answers of course.

Shrimp need calcium for their carapaces, and they get that from the water, the ones we keep tend to like the water around the 150ppm mark on a TDS pen, but they're slightly picky about needing some gH so that their moults don't fail. You can get chemicals to make up the right mix, or some people make their own, or cut the RO with tap water if they're in a hard water area to get the levels right. That last one is the one that doesn't deal with the chlorine, RO is chlorine free, but adding back in tap water adds back in the chlorines and chloramines from there.

Thanks Dr Rob Sorry I wasn't clear was I? I know to get the TDS and GH to a reasonable level using Salty Shrimp. I meant could R O water be used without the dechlorinator treatment so I'm reassured now that it is ok as long as it isn't mixed with tap water.

In that case, not a clue, I use home made. I'd be forced to follow the instructions on the packet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back