Water Changes

sheree

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 11, 2005
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Nottingham, UK
We are looking at going on holiday for 3 weeks later this year but unfortunately I haven't anyone to look after my fish. I usually get the brother in law to feed them but he's moving away so I've had to buy an auto feeder however I was wondering will the tank be ok without water changes for that amount of time, at present I tend do water changes every 7 - 10 days.
 
We are looking at going on holiday for 3 weeks later this year but unfortunately I haven't anyone to look after my fish. I usually get the brother in law to feed them but he's moving away so I've had to buy an auto feeder however I was wondering will the tank be ok without water changes for that amount of time, at present I tend do water changes every 7 - 10 days.

Would have thought just reduce the feeding using the auto feeder, do a good change before you go and a good change when you come back
 
thanx for that - would adding an air stone help, i don't have one at the moment would it make much of a differnce and help circulate the water a bit more.
Would Tetra Easybalance help??
 
thanx for that - would adding an air stone help, i don't have one at the moment would it make much of a differnce and help circulate the water a bit more.
Would Tetra Easybalance help??

An air stone wont make all that much difference, the main reason for the water changes are to remove the Nitrates created as part of the cycle, your tank should be fine while your on hols, i would do a large water change just before you go 60% / 70% and a good gravel / sand vac, as well as check the filter media isn't too gunked up and clean off in some old tank water if needed.

When home as mentioned do another water change.

I have myself not done a water change for over a month as when doing tests found that my nitrates weren't all that high, when they started to get to 20ppm i then did a water change, but in doing this also kept the fish on a strict food regime so that there was little if no wasted food that would rot.

there are some on here that have not done water changes in a much much longer time period.

i would also say that this will depend on what stock you have, if they happy poopers and like to make a mess may be a diff storey, you could keep an eye on tests and see how it goes not doing a water change for 3 weeks while your still at home, in a way a "dry" run.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top