Water changes; 30% daily vs 75% weekly, what's better overall?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So as the title saids, 20% daily water changes and substrate clean Vs 75% weekly and substrate clean?

Thoughts?

@Colin_T

Simple maths tell us if you don't change over 50% of the water at anyone time the pollution will continue to rise faster than if you do.
Applying that simple arithmetic
You have 100 units of tea. Every day you replace 20 units of tea with water for 7 days.
At the end of 7 days you still have 21 units of tea.
Change 75 units and you have 25 units of tea left.

Sounds good so far. Now lets say your fish produce 10 units of tea. By the end of the week you are left with 60 units of tea. Feel free to check the arithmetic.

Now as an exercise ;), what would happen if the fish produce 21 units of tea per day?

Unless you have nothing to do and water is free, I would do a 75-90% water change once a week. I have better things to do (like sit on my asss) than do water changes every day. :)
You have a delightful way with words :lol:

Water is free here but I never want to go back to daily water changes :eek: :rofl:
Edit typo

The thing is the other day one of my clown knifefish died because of
the loose filter plug that kinda unplug itself

Nitrate is about 100+ I have done 90% and now trying to do 30% daily just incase of filter plug things happen again

Applying that simple arithmetic
You have 100 units of tea. Every day you replace 20 units of tea with water for 7 days.
At the end of 7 days you still have 21 units of tea.
Change 75 units and you have 25 units of tea left.

Sounds good so far. Now lets say your fish produce 10 units of tea. By the end of the week you are left with 60 units of tea. Feel free to check the arithmetic.

Now as an exercise ;), what would happen if the fish produce 21 units of tea per day?
Oh no! I hate math, I have been studying math for about 40 days straight now, ya know Asian math test, they are like hell.

It’s been mentioned to me in a fish keeping FB group I’m in that daily water changes will shock fishes and potentially kill them.
What are your thoughts on this?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back