Very Sick Raphael Catfish!!

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

But why replace the sponges?

They'd be housing beneficial bacteria, and don't need to be replaced. Unless you're talking about a finer filter floss that falls apart quite quickly?
The brand I use tends to get super raggedy and thin at the corners and edges if I let it go for more than two months and I just get worried about that going into the tank. Should I not be to worried about that? Would you have a certain brand you recommend? And I would assume the BioWheels hold beneficial bacteria as well since the water also runs through them? Correct me if I am wrong!

Edit: After a quick Google search I would definitely say I am using a filter floss. Again I am open to better options/recommendations! I usually buy it in large rolls like this Filter Floss, I do not have a specific brand though!

The brand I use tends to get super raggedy and thin at the corners and edges if I let it go for more than two months and I just get worried about that going into the tank. Should I not be to worried about that? Would you have a certain brand you recommend? And I would assume the BioWheels hold beneficial bacteria as well since the water also runs through them? Correct me if I am wrong!

Edit: After a quick Google search I would definitely say I am using a filter floss. Again I am open to better options/recommendations! I usually buy it in large rolls like this Filter Floss, I do not have a specific brand though!
Yep, the biowheel will house BB too, but your colony of BB will grow only as large as needed to handle the bioload of the tank, and that can be growing in the filter, on the floss, and on the substrate/tank glass etc.

You could carry on using filter floss if you like it, having some in the filter will help mechanically filter out smaller particles in the water. So far as I know, most brands will be the same regarding falling apart after a pretty shot time, just the nature of filter floss! I would just keep an extra close eye when you replace it that the tank isn't experiencing a mini-cycle in the days after you change it out. Check your ammonia and nitrites the day after you replace, and water change as necessary if ammonia or nitrites go above zero.

If you find you do get mini-cycles, or you just get tired of changing it and the costs, you can get any brand of aquarium sponge and cut to fit, then just rinse the sponge in old tank water when it gets gunked up. :)
Hey guys just wanted to update the thread, my Raphael Cat passed last night :( thank you all so much for your advice and well wishes!

Aaahh dude, I'm really sorry :( I wish there was more we could have done. You did the best you could for him.

Most reactions

Back