Various Things Fish-related

ally86ozzy

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 14, 2008
Messages
399
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
New York
Ok, a couple of things.....

1. I'm kinda bored with my tanks. How can I make them a little more interesting (aside from fish, I've got enough of them :lol: )? Maybe some new decor?

2. How do you suppose a 13-year old can make money for a new tank? I'd like a bigger one, between 15-30 gallons (starting small, but I really need a new tank, I've got alot of overcrowding :S )

3. How can I make my fish STOP HAVING BABIES?!?!?! My dad is threatening to flush her down the toilet if she doesn't stop (although I'm sure he'd never do that, I'd probably burst into hysterics :lol: ) If I remove the male, she'll just keep having babies until the sperm runs out (they're mosquito fish, by the way, basically cousins of the guppy :S ), but then I don't know what I would do with the male. I suppose I could put him in my brother's extra 5 gallon, there are no fish in it though, so we'd have to cycle it.....

ARG. My brain's going to burst :lol:
 
Ok, a couple of things.....

1. I'm kinda bored with my tanks. How can I make them a little more interesting (aside from fish, I've got enough of them :lol: )? Maybe some new decor?
Maybe get a nice aerator, like a bubbling treasure chest. That is, if you have the space.... (How big's the tank?) You can also put in live or plastic plants.

2. How do you suppose a 13-year old can make money for a new tank? I'd like a bigger one, between 15-30 gallons (starting small, but I really need a new tank, I've got a lot of overcrowding :S )
Ha, I'm the same age as you! :P (That was pretty random... :S ) Anyhow, you could babysit or something... Do you get allowance? Save up allowance if you do get it. Or, do chores around the house that you wouldn't normally do, and maybe your parents can pay you a bit. (Save the money!)

3. How can I make my fish STOP HAVING BABIES?!?!?! My dad is threatening to flush her down the toilet if she doesn't stop (although I'm sure he'd never do that, I'd probably burst into hysterics :lol: ) If I remove the male, she'll just keep having babies until the sperm runs out (they're mosquito fish, by the way, basically cousins of the guppy :S ), but then I don't know what I would do with the male. I suppose I could put him in my brother's extra 5 gallon, there are no fish in it though, so we'd have to cycle it.....
Honestly? I'm having the opposite problem from you! If you live anywhere close to me, I'd SO take them off your hands! :D (But that's not a reality!) Maybe you can give the females to a pet store that's willing to take them off your hands? (Don't expect any money...) Or, if you are THAT desperate, set up the 5 gallon tank, and see if you can sell any to people on a selling site or something? (Make sure you talk to the people before you give them your fish!) When the 5 gallon's done cycling, put the extra fish inside. (Males separated from females, though that won't make much of a difference!)

ARG. My brain's going to burst :lol:
I know how you feel! :S
Good luck though!
 
Hi ally86ozzy :)

How do you suppose a 13-year old can make money for a new tank? I'd like a bigger one, between 15-30 gallons (starting small, but I really need a new tank, I've got alot of overcrowding )

In addition to the traditional babysitting and gardening chores teenagers do, since you live in New York, where we have a deposit on beer and soda cans and bottles, you might tell your neighbors that you will take them back for the deposit, if they normally throw them away. Those nickels turn into dollars quickly and people drink a lot of beverages in the summer.

While your are at it, tell everyone that you are working toward a bigger aquarium. Maybe someone will have one in their basement or garage that they just haven't gotten rid of yet, and will sell it to you cheap, or even give it to you. Ask your parents and friends to ask everyone they know too. Some of our members have been successful with this kind of work-of-mouth advertising in the past. It's surprising how many tanks are laying around collecting dust.

Good luck to you! :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top