Urgent Betta Problems!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

koii

Reaction score
Hi! Listen, sorry if I'm posting about this is in the wrong area, I'm new. But really, I'm very worried about my fish. My mystery snail died, and we left him in the tank for a day or two, because he usually just stopped and hid in his shell for a while. I noticed something was wrong when he did not go for an algae thin. So, we just removed his shell from the tank, but his body is nowhere to be found. I took my betta Spade out of the tank to run the filter for a bit (it has a strong flow and it is not adjustable so every once and a while I take him out and run if for a long time, not the best strategy I know.)

I noticed something quite weird. His lips look almost separated from his head, like there was some skin holding it together. Then I noticed one of his eyes looked like it was popping out a bit, like an early-ish stange of popeye.

Please help me! I'm not very experienced and I know I'm no doing everything in the best way possible, but I'm trying my best, and if I am truly unfit to have him I will rehome him, but his health is my top priority right now. Before anyone asks, he is in a 5.5 gallon tank with a heater as well as the filter.

Update! This is just a few hours later, he looks bloated and his tail looks kind of roughed up. I'm about to check the water and I'm super worried.

Hi there,

Without pictures it’s quite difficult to help you diagnose what your fish might be suffering from.

Either way - you’re going to have to answer a lot of questions!! Not trying to be a sm@rt @rse but the more we know the more we can help.

What kind of filter is it, canister, HOB or sponge?
How much water do you change?
How often?
What water conditioner do you use?
What do you feed?
How much?
How often?
Apart from the betta is there anything else in the tank? Real/plastic plants, decorations, shrimps, snails etc.
Have you added anything new recently?
What temp is it heated to?
What are you readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I think the best thing that you can do is 50% water change as long as it temperature matches - you don’t want to shock your fish with cold water! Lots and lots of clean, warm water usually help the most; medications often do more harm than good.

HTH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back