Updates! :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

comocrayfish5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
updates!!! all of these girls are Momma Crays babies, she is a self cloning marbled crayfish. she has had 2 batches which are now in the 20H gal baby cray tank and there is one in the goldfish tank.

the bigger ones destroyed the tank and spread krill pieces all over the place!
DSCN3973.jpg

DSCN3975.jpg

RSCN3986.jpg

DSCN3981.jpg

Nice photos 
good.gif

Keeping 100+ crayfish must be chaos!

I don't know much about them, how big do they grow?

two of the first batch babies have eggs in the baby tank.. and Momma Cray Jr. in the 20 gal goldfish tank was the first of the babies- to have babies! they just hatched. i think MC Jr has the most beautiful color!

DSCN3991.jpg

RSCN3997.jpg

there are a lot more babies than i thought on her. before they hatched, there didnt look like there was that many 
smile.png

RSCN3996.jpg

RSCN3998.jpg

and Momma Cray is on her 3rd batch which has hatched and some have roamed and some are on her. i plan to move momma cray and the babies into a container and then once they are all roaming, i will put momma cray back so i dont have to spent 2 hours netting them out of the gravel :
smile.png

DSCN3925.jpg

love this pic 
smile.png

]
DSCN3933.jpg

annndd... all (some were roaming) of the babies under her tail 
smile.png
 cant wait to count them 
biggrin.png

RSCN3940.jpg

DSCN3543.jpg

smile.png

***NOTE: please do not post negative comments on marbled crayfish- if you dont like them, dont post about how they should not be pets, how you hate them, etc. etc. Also please do Not comment on my 20gal goldfish tank. the tank is clean and the fish are healthy*** 

Thank you.

it is actually quite enjoyable and exciting and watching the really little one is very relaxing. these crays grow to about 4 inches. momma cray is 4" but that is tail to claw, i am not sure if they mean just the body

some crays grow big, like the Tasmanian crayfish, other are small. there is a crayfish native to Aussie that is 1" full grown. i am not keeping them all 
biggrin.png
 the second batch went in with the bigger first batch and about 5 were eaten and i found one dried up on the floor 
rip.gif
 when their babies hatch and roam, they will not be kept and will just be eaten. it will be hard to let momma crays huge batch go for food, but it must be done and.. they will clone again 
biggrin.png
 i just like counting them and watching them grow up and have children of their own 
rolleyes.gif

I would love to do that with crayfish. I have a Mexican dwarf crayfish in my shrimp tank that is just so much fun to watch. What do you mean by "clone again"?

Well I have decided to get one of these cray over the one I was looking at, even checked if they were legal ( and they are :D ) so once I get my tank ready I'm totally picking one of them up :)

stanleo said:
I would love to do that with crayfish. I have a Mexican dwarf crayfish in my shrimp tank that is just so much fun to watch. What do you mean by "clone again"?

they will literally just reproduce on their own. one mature they will just lay eggs. they will do this every 2 months i think. :) the coolest pet ever!!!
Supraman said:
Well I have decided to get one of these cray over the one I was looking at, even checked if they were legal ( and they are
biggrin.png
) so once I get my tank ready I'm totally picking one of them up
smile.png
congrats. but make sure that you have a way of "despising" the extra babies. you have big enough tanks where you could have cichlids and just use them as feeders. :D

They actually sound and look quite interesting. They look pleasant to keep when they're small too, a handful when they grow though!

The only time I've come across crayfish before is on the lake near where I live. Fishermen really don't like them, especially when they cut your line.

I ended up catching one in a session, I had no idea what it is but the man that came over wasn't very pleased with it and lets just say it suffered a forceful death!

They're kind of seen as pests, obviously yours aren't though - they look great and aren't the big, nasty things that cut folks line in the lake :lol:

they are nice to watch when they are little and big. i think the only thing that is a pain when they are big or with the large # of babies with gravel, is the food waste. thai is why i feed them every other day or every 2 days. the frozen food gets less wasted but it is more $$. i am thinking of putting back sand in momma cray's tank so it is easier to catch the babies for cleaning. momma crays take gets really really dirty in the gravel because the babies wast so much food and i dont clean it that often because it takes about 2 hours- with a friend helping- to get all the babies out. that is something i dont lke to admit, but this batch of babies and the ones after will be used to food so they will come and go fast 
crazy.gif

Wow! We have crayfish all over the place in our ponds and lakes come summer (VT). Very informative about them. Never knew how interesting these little critters can be. Thanks for that! :)

Oooh, brilliant!

Please don't tell me you've actually counted all those? 
blink.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back