Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just got back from @petsathome, it’s next to supermarket so I’m in every other day, and I noticed signs on the rabbit enclosures. “These enclosures comply with the minimum space standard.....blah blah blah.“ Also they advise how much space a rabbit needs after it’s taken home etc etc.
No such signs hanging from aquariums. I think there’s Bettas been in there longer than the queens been on the throne/ since Elvis was still driving trucks Etc.
There’s a reason some aquarists call them Death at Home!

Woohoo! Lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide all around! Bathroom is first door on the right once the HCTZ kicks in.

Discus are overrated.

The breeding of "fancy" goldfish varieties, balloon bellied fish, blood parrots, etc is cruel. Shame on you!
Yup. I was introducing my friend to the hobby and he saw some fancy goldfish and said ‘ooh, they’re nice!’ I nearly threw a tantrum! Instead I loudly explained how they’re developed and the disabilities that result. He understands now.

Glowfish actually came about when scientists were trying to devise a way to test pollution in waters, using bioluminescent DNA taken from marine animals. Then it was taken and used to sell fish to kids.

I don't like it, I don't like the idea of modifying animals for the pet trade, fish are good enough in their natural state, but I'm not gonna argue with the good the scientists behind it were trying to do.
https://www.petmd.com/fish/what-are-glofish
That and they’re injected with dye.

I totally agree any fish that doesn’t naturally glow shouldn’t be in the system. I’m not even sure if they’re a UK thing, I’ve not seen any in the 5 or so ‘local’ to me

My unpopular opinion: People who see clownfish and call it Nemo should be shot! The same with Blue Tangs and Dory.

Thank you for listening, I feel better having got that off my chest.

My unpopular opinion: People who see clownfish and call it Nemo should be shot! The same with Blue Tangs and Dory.

Thank you for listening, I feel better having got that off my chest.
But, but, but they ARE Nemo fish.........
(Aggressive buggers,had one the size of my thumb trying to chase me off in the red sea once.)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m not sure where you read that, but that is incorrect:

“The original zebrafish (or zebra danio, Danio rerio) is a native of rivers in Indiaand Bangladesh. It measures three centimeters long and has gold and dark blue stripes. In 1999, Dr. Zhiyuan Gong[2] and his colleagues at the National University of Singapore were working with a gene that encodes the green fluorescent protein (GFP), originally extracted from a jellyfish, that naturally produced bright green fluorescence. They inserted the gene into a zebrafish embryo, allowing it to integrate into the zebrafish's genome, which caused the fish to be brightly fluorescent under both natural white light and ultraviolet light. Their goal was to develop a fish that could detect pollution by selectively fluorescing in the presence of environmental toxins. The development of the constantly fluorescing fish was the first step in this process, and the National University of Singapore filed a patent application on this work.[3] Shortly thereafter, his team developed a line of red fluorescent zebra fish by adding a gene from a sea coral, and orange-yellow fluorescent zebra fish, by adding a variant of the jellyfish gene. Later, a team of researchers at the National Taiwan University, headed by Professor Huai-Jen Tsai (蔡懷禎), succeeded in creating a medaka (rice fish) with a fluorescent green color, which, like the zebrafish, is a model organism used in biology.”

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish)

As you can see, they were not made by accident. They were created on purpose, and I just think it’s cruel. The original fish is beautiful, and shame on anyone who says otherwise. :(
Well said.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back