Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

True julii are incredibly hard to come across. It is more likely that you have Corydoras trilineatus, which are often sold as julii Corydoras. So much so that they are now referred to as the false julii cory. Not a name I like for them though, the three striped cory is much better.

Both trilineatus and sterbai Corydoras can be triggered by flowing water. It seems your sterbai just haven't gotten to that point yet. edit* and on Thursday you said you only have one sterbai, if that is the case that can explain why as well.

True julii are incredibly hard to come across. It is more likely that you have Corydoras trilineatus, which are often sold as julii Corydoras. So much so that they are now referred to as the false julii cory. Not a name I like for them though, the three striped cory is much better.

Both trilineatus and sterbai Corydoras can be triggered by flowing water. It seems your sterbai just haven't gotten to that point yet. edit* and on Thursday you said you only have one sterbai, if that is the case that can explain why as well.
Only 1 now. I had 4 of them but lost the others when I took a fornight holiday and my son didn't do a good job of caring for them. The Julii, for I'm pretty certain that's what they are, swim with her most of the time. I think the Julii are both male and the Sterbai is female. There's definite affection between them

They aren't playing, as such. Many Corydoras, including trilineatus which those ones seem to be, will spawn in areas in which the flow is high, so flow from bubbles can get them into an excited state.

Many plecos come from areas in which there is high flow, so there are times you may see them "playing" in the flow produced by the bubbles similar to what these Corydoras are doing.
WHAT!

Mucky little pups!

I'm SHOCKED!!! o_Oo_Oo_O

And so disillusioned . . . . :mad::mad::mad:

Does it kill them instantly when the arrow hits?
Nope. The arrow is attached to some tough string, and the arrow has a really sharp, big head. When they shoot the fish, the arrow goes completely through the fishes body, and out the other side. The fish is them essentially skewered on the line, still alive. They then pull it up and either keep it, or through it back.

I once saw a large mouth bass that had shown signs of being shot before, it had a huge hole in its body. Seemed to be OK, but here again, the arrow didn’t go through any organs. (But they usually do...)

Nope. The arrow is attached to some tough string, and the arrow has a really sharp, big head. When they shoot the fish, the arrow goes completely through the fishes body, and out the other side. The fish is them essentially skewered on the line, still alive. They then pull it up and either keep it, or through it back.

I once saw a large mouth bass that had shown signs of being shot before, it had a huge hole in its body. Seemed to be OK, but here again, the arrow didn’t go through any organs. (But they usually do...)
Thats tough. Just use a fishing rod.

Thats tough. Just use a fishing rod.
I know right... when I do fish I use barbless hooks. Does less damage to the fishes lips.

I also take all the precautions. (Always catch and release, get your hands wet before handing them so you don’t remove their protective slime coat, etc.)

I think bow fishing is cruel and inhumane. :mad::(
We might have to agree to disagree on that one. I enjoy bow fishing for carp. Harpooning carp through the vitals with a big, fiberglass arrow kills them at least as fast as catching them with a hook and line, usually much faster--that harpoon point does a lot of damage on the way through. It is a legal and (dare I say) very fun way to remove an invasive, incredibly harmful fish from the ecosystem. I can't really see any way it's less humane than catching fish on a hook.

Hey, two-for-one on unpopular opinions! ha ha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back